Salvage Saturday

Ken Rennie

A bit of a long story with this one. I was originally happy with the image. It was soft but since it is mostly falling water it didn't really bother me. Looking closely at it I thought that there may be an image at the bottom of the falls where the water hits the rocks.
_DSC3846-1 copy.jpg

Viewing at 100% I noticed that the softness was lots of camera movement in the 1s exposure. I remember that I took it while standing on a steeply sloping hillside covered in thick heather. I was using a large Gitzo Systemic tripod with 3" spikes but couldn't get the spikes through the heather so there was a touch of bounce in the strong wind. As is my usual habit with waterfalls I hade taken many shots at widely varying shutter speeds and the fast ones looked fairly sharp.
_DSC3846- 3849 merge.jpg

Looking closely at the bottom
_DSC3846- 3849 merge copy cropped a lot copy.jpg

_DSC3846- 3849 merge cropped even more copy.jpg

I do like the shapes and textures but the overall composition looks unbalanced to me but it gives me ideas for my next visit. Here is one of the faster shutter speed images at 1/100s
_DSC3848 copy.jpg

Ken

JimFox

Staff member
A bit of a long story with this one. I was originally happy with the image. It was soft but since it is mostly falling water it didn't really bother me. Looking closely at it I thought that there may be an image at the bottom of the falls where the water hits the rocks.
View attachment 49164

Viewing at 100% I noticed that the softness was lots of camera movement in the 1s exposure. I remember that I took it while standing on a steeply sloping hillside covered in thick heather. I was using a large Gitzo Systemic tripod with 3" spikes but couldn't get the spikes through the heather so there was a touch of bounce in the strong wind. As is my usual habit with waterfalls I hade taken many shots at widely varying shutter speeds and the fast ones looked fairly sharp.
View attachment 49165

Looking closely at the bottom
View attachment 49166
View attachment 49167

I do like the shapes and textures but the overall composition looks unbalanced to me but it gives me ideas for my next visit. Here is one of the faster shutter speed images at 1/100s
View attachment 49168
Ken
Wow Ken, that’s really cool. I think we have all been there before with it being windy at a waterfall and soft ground below us, so I know your feeling. It’s interesting to see each, and I do hope a revisit to there is in the near future.

Top Bottom