Salvage Saturday

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Time to pile on with your revisited images. More than one is fine.

This is an image from the high Uinta's. I was shooting Mt Hayden to the east when I saw this scene to the north west. The DR was always too severe for a good image, So I tried it again with DXO, ACR and Topaz.

I must say, DXO only makes the shadows clean enough to push.. The pushing is done in ACR with a pretty good image already. Topaz just adds some clarity and a bit more range on the DR

140621-7833-5dm3.jpg

AlanLichty

Outstanding result Ben - this one cleaned up nicely. Your description of using DxO is exactly how I use it as well except that I am pushing the light and color in LR instead of ACR. They have a new version out now - PureRAW3. I am playing with a trial copy and so far it looks a bit better than PureRAW2.

AlanLichty

My salvage for today is from Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone NP. The bright white rock faces left this one in my stash unprocessed since I had lots more from the same morning with easier DR to process. I decided to give this one a try using the new DxO PureRAW3 and it allowed me to tame the wide light gamut.

MammothMorningPools7.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Good job looks like Pure Raw 3 is a winner. I assume you have to buy it even if you own Pure Raw 2, or is it an upgrade?

AlanLichty

What I have noticed with PureRAW3 is how well it handles things like tree branches with open sky behind where we often see blue halos.

Kyle Jones

This is an image from the high Uinta's. I was shooting Mt Hayden to the east when I saw this scene to the north west. The DR was always too severe for a good image, So I tried it again with DXO, ACR and Topaz.

I must say, DXO only makes the shadows clean enough to push.. The pushing is done in ACR with a pretty good image already. Topaz just adds some clarity and a bit more range on the DR
That came out very nice and natural looking

John Holbrook

Custer State Park, SD (Oct. 2022) Nikon Z72 with 24-70 f/2.8 S Edited with Pure Raw 3 and Adobe Photoshop/ACR (see below).

_DSC3951-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-Pano-Edit.jpg

I purchased DxO Pure Raw 3 today after reading here that it had been released. I had issues with the original Pure Raw that it would not open on my 27" iMac several years ago and had to set up a new user on my machine so it would open––as DxO Support suggested. That method did work but it was a lot of trouble switching back and forth. When I purchased my Mac Ultra Studio last year I hoped that Pure Raw would work with the new machine––nope! Had to use the same method as before. So I took the $79 gamble and purchased Pure Raw 3...AND IT WORKS! What's weird is DxO Photolab 6 (and all the other versions before) always worked perfectly.

Last edited:

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Custer State Park, SD (Oct. 2022) Nikon Z72 with 24-70 f/2.8 S Edited with Pure Raw 3 and Adobe Photoshop/ACR (see below).

View attachment 57547

I purchased DxO Pure Raw 3 today after reading here that it had been released. I had issues with the original Pure Raw that it would not open on my 27" iMac several years ago and had to set up a new user account on my machine so it would open––as DxO Support suggested. That method did work but it was a lot of trouble switching back and forth. When I purchased my Mac Ultra Studio last year I hoped that Pure Raw would work with the new machine––nope! Had to use the same method as before. So I took the $79 gamble and purchased Pure Raw 3...AND IT WORKS! What's weird is DxO Photolab 6 (and all the other versions before) always worked perfectly.
fantastic depth in this very realistic looking image

John Holbrook

My salvage for today is from Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone NP. The bright white rock faces left this one in my stash unprocessed since I had lots more from the same morning with easier DR to process. I decided to give this one a try using the new DxO PureRAW3 and it allowed me to tame the wide light gamut.

View attachment 57545
Love the orange/blue in the foreground—beautiful landscape.

John Holbrook

View attachment 57543
Ben, this is quite beautiful and excellent editing throughout—so nice I had to show my wife!

Last edited:

Kyle Jones

OK, here is a rework of an image from Sentinel Dome. I downloaded DXO and and playing with the trial version. My focus was on trying to keep the trees in the midground looking somewhat natural (that light on them was pretty intense) while also bringing out some details in the background. Overall process was DXO PureRaw3, apply a linear profile in lightroom along with some basic adjustments, bring into PhotoShop as a smart object, apply Sharpen AI and adjust contrasts with a raw filter on the smart object, a little dodging/burning and some contrast adjustments in luminance layers. Any thoughts are welcome.

3073 Sunset from Sentinal Dome_850.jpg

Top Bottom