Seagull Nebula

chuckp

seagullsho.jpg

Since birding is another one of my hobbies I couldn't wait to image this. This is actually in the worst part of the sky for the Bortle 8 skies I image in, not only skyglow but the bright lights from my neighbors lanai. This shows how good the narrow band filters are. I used the Hydrogen alpha , Oxygen 3 and Sulphur 2 filters to capture this object.

AlanLichty

I never knew this deep space object existed until just now. It is shaped a lot like a flying bird and the colors are delightful. Quite amazing you got this while shooting in skies with light pollution.

JimFox

Staff member
Oh man, I love the Seagull Nebula! Well, I love it in that I had hoped to capture it a few months ago. I had issues finding it in the sky, and when I did find it I just couldn't pull it out the detail I wanted. And if I did, mine would be all red from the Ha data. This is a masterpiece Chuck! And under the less then ideal conditions? It does show the power of Narrow band filters.

chuckp

I never knew this deep space object existed until just now. It is shaped a lot like a flying bird and the colors are delightful. Quite amazing you got this while shooting in skies with light pollution.
Thanks Alan, the narrow band filters have ben a blessing for me but the bad thing is they don't work on galaxies and it is galaxy season right now.

chuckp

Oh man, I love the Seagull Nebula! Well, I love it in that I had hoped to capture it a few months ago. I had issues finding it in the sky, and when I did find it I just couldn't pull it out the detail I wanted. And if I did, mine would be all red from the Ha data. This is a masterpiece Chuck! And under the less then ideal conditions? It does show the power of Narrow band filters.
I've done it with a modified dslr at a dark site and was not very happy with the results.

JimFox

Staff member
Thanks Alan, the narrow band filters have ben a blessing for me but the bad thing is they don't work on galaxies and it is galaxy season right now.
Oh really? Narrow band filters don't work on galaxies? I hadn't even thought about that really.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Nice colors and details. Dont know much about different DSOs but learning new names on a regular basis here in the forums.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Staff member
Wow, superb rendition of this classic nebula! The colors are really nice for sure and your framing is perfect (did you crop this?) as it just fits in the frame. Always anxious for more details (telescope, subframe length(s), total integration time, etc.) if you care to share. Yes, NB filters are a godsend when it comes to imaging in the presence of light pollution. Glad you were able to mitigate those problems and get this great result!

ML

chuckp

Wow, superb rendition of this classic nebula! The colors are really nice for sure and your framing is perfect (did you crop this?) as it just fits in the frame. Always anxious for more details (telescope, subframe length(s), total integration time, etc.) if you care to share. Yes, NB filters are a godsend when it comes to imaging in the presence of light pollution. Glad you were able to mitigate those problems and get this great result!

ML
Thanks Mike, I used the Tak FSQ106 with 0.73 reducer. I had to rotate the camera to fit. Not much cropping, just from overlapping frames. It's rather short time. Ha 15-300, O3 15-300, S2 15-360 and 200 gain on all. I processed several times, was never happy with the color until this one. This is my favorite NB that I've done.

Top Bottom