SH2-132, the Lion Nebula.

Comet Hunter

Still working on this, but getting close I think. SH2-132 the Lion, taken in N Illinois last week in heavy light pollution.
Right at 8 hours of 5 min subs. WOGT 71 and my Optolong extreme filter.

Do you think it has too much contrast?

SH2-132_GT_533.1.jpg

Anubis1311

I like the way you’ve processed it. Having just processed it myself I was undecided between a subtle palette and a bold contrasty one. Ultimately they both looked good. The beauty of this is that if you go heavy on the contrast which often clips the dusty parts then it actually emphasises the ‘lion’ shape of the nebula. It’s a pretty forgiving nebula in that way. It’s also beautiful in HOO
557C279E-2B1F-40FD-BF69-7BFF8E05DD41.jpeg

JimFox

Staff member
Still working on this, but getting close I think. SH2-132 the Lion, taken in N Illinois last week in heavy light pollution.
Right at 8 hours of 5 min subs. WOGT 71 and my Optolong extreme filter.

Do you think it has too much contrast?

View attachment 65274
Hey Ed,

You did really good in heavy light pollution. Lot's of nice details, and I like how you worked the stars. Perhaps a hair too much contrast. Though 2 years ago, my backgrounds were almost always this dark. I have been trying to let more of the background details to show through, but it's often feeling like a tightrope act to balance the contrast just enough. I hope to get out in a couple of days, the Lion's nebula is high on my list of targets with seeing all of the great images lately of it.

JimFox

Staff member
I like the way you’ve processed it. Having just processed it myself I was undecided between a subtle palette and a bold contrasty one. Ultimately they both looked good. The beauty of this is that if you go heavy on the contrast which often clips the dusty parts then it actually emphasises the ‘lion’ shape of the nebula. It’s a pretty forgiving nebula in that way. It’s also beautiful in HOOView attachment 65275
Danny, that looks really nice too. The HOO palette is one I have played with but have yet to get it to look right in the nebula's I have tried it on. This might be a good one to try again on.

Top Bottom