Sony a6300 & 18-135 trashed!

SamK

Scooter accident while camera on hip. :-( Don’t think either can be fixed (glass on lens OK but electronics broken).

Sell for parts on eBay. Replace with a6400? Don’t need a6600? Other lens ideas, I have a bunch of Sony stabalized lenses already, but 18-135 was very useful.

Ideas?

JimFox

Staff member
That's a shame about the A6300!

I have the A6400 and love it. I think it's rated better then the A6600. The 18-135mm is my go to lens besides a Samyang 12mm f2.0 that I use for my night photography.

AlanLichty

Ouch!! This seriously sucks.

I am not fluent in the world of Sony photo gear so I am not in a position to offer guidance on the feature sets of the a6400 vs. a6600 unless there is some "gottahaveit" feature on the a6600 for the way you shoot. Are there parts left from your a6300 and the lens you might be able to use as backup yourself?

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
That’s too bad. Go get a new toy now - like Alan I am not well versed in Sony gear to offer any advice.

SamK

I have the A6400 and love it. I think it's rated better then the A6600. The 18-135mm is my go to lens besides a Samyang 12mm f2.0 that I use for my night photography.
I think a6400 is a good upgrade, better AF system. Shame I have to replace 18-135, but cheaper if I buy as a kit lens.

SamK

Ouch!! This seriously sucks.

I am not fluent in the world of Sony photo gear so I am not in a position to offer guidance on the feature sets of the a6400 vs. a6600 unless there is some "gottahaveit" feature on the a6600 for the way you shoot. Are there parts left from your a6300 and the lens you might be able to use as backup yourself?
Glass is OK on lens, I wll bring in to B&H and see if anything can be salvaged.

SamK

I had a6000, a6300, I guess 6400 is a nice upgrade. Don’t need 6600, all my lenses have OS.

JimFox

Staff member
I had a6000, a6300, I guess 6400 is a nice upgrade. Don’t need 6600, all my lenses have OS.
When I bought my 6400 I chose it over the 6600. I had also thought about picking up a used 6000 at the local monthly camera swapmeet as they were going for about $300. But, then the pandemic hit and the camera swapmeet closed down. So far it's not opened back up, but this has reminded me that I should check on it, perhaps they are back up and running.

SamK

When I bought my 6400 I chose it over the 6600. I had also thought about picking up a used 6000 at the local monthly camera swapmeet as they were going for about $300. But, then the pandemic hit and the camera swapmeet closed down. So far it's not opened back up, but this has reminded me that I should check on it, perhaps they are back up and running.
I could save some bucks by buying used, but decided to get new. Ordered from B&H today, it should come tomorrow. Expensive accident, but at least I’m upgrading.

JimFox

Staff member
I could save some bucks by buying used, but decided to get new. Ordered from B&H today, it should come tomorrow. Expensive accident, but at least I’m upgrading.
That's true, an upgrade is nice. I have started to buy the accidental insurance they sell at the same time I buy something new. At least for 3 years it covers any accidents and it's usually only $50 or $60 so not too bad.

Top Bottom