Stacked Fencing

AlanLichty

A simple shot of how fences were built in the early 1800's at the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site. This is part of a reconstruction of the village that was just outside of the Hudson Bay Company trading post palisade.

590nm IR with channel swap.

FtVancouverFence.jpg

C&C always welcome.

JimFox

Staff member
Very cool Alan! That would be an interesting area. I read a lot of history of that area years ago and it was really interesting.

Graeme F

Think I might get an ir filter and give this a go. I understand I'll need to process the images tho as come out deep red and long exposures, bright light required?

AlanLichty

Very cool Alan! That would be an interesting area. I read a lot of history of that area years ago and it was really interesting.
Thanks Jim - you will see more of this place this summer when the deciduous trees bring out their foliage. The Fort grounds were part of my lunchtime running routes when I was still working and I am thinking it will be a good target for IR photography.

Think I might get an ir filter and give this a go. I understand I'll need to process the images tho as come out deep red and long exposures, bright light required?
An IR filter on a camera with a conventional sensor takes a lot of light and long exposures. I am using an older DSLR camera body that has been converted for IR which allows for handheld shooting like the scene above.

Graeme F

Well I'll try the filter. If I like the results might look and get a 2nd hand camera to convert

AlanLichty

Well I'll try the filter. If I like the results might look and get a 2nd hand camera to convert
Definitely a cheaper starting point. I had an old Canon 5D Mk II sitting on a shelf collecting dust which made the decision a lot easier. Jim Fox tried the filter route and did post some images and descriptions of his experiences in this IR forum if you want to learn more about that IR path.

AlanLichty

Nice Alan. this style seems to use more wood, but does not require digging a fence post hole.
Thanks Ben - there was no shortage of available lumber around the Vancouver area in the early 1820's. Native Americans used fire to create clearings for better hunting in the otherwise dense forests which surrounded the trading post.

Top Bottom