Sunday Shenanigans #2

Amy Earl

It's time for another Sunday Shenanigans!

This thread is for posting photos that are outside your norm. Use it as an opportunity to experiment, have fun, tell a story, or all three. Pick something from your archives and try a new processing technique, or go out and shoot something new in terms of subject matter or mood.

Try one of these ideas as a guideline:
  • If you normally shoot landscapes, post an abstract, portrait, industrial subject, architecture, etc.
  • Try an unusual processing technique with one of your photos (like Lets Play).
  • Try to mimic the artistic style of another photographer you like.
  • Post something you captured on the way to your shooting destination, rather than the destination photo itself.
  • Post a photo that shows another side of your character. It could be a documentary photo of another hobby or interest, for example, or a portrait of a pet, family member, etc.
  • Post a photo that has a story behind it. (Include the story!)
Explaining your process or including the backstory is appreciated. Humor and whimsy are welcome too 😉 Have fun!

Amy Earl

I don't usually post documentary-style photos, so here's a couple from Brattleboro, VT.
Though I grew up only an hour from here, I never really walked through it until this year. I went with my husband and sisters to have dinner, then we walked around. I find it's nice to take pictures during my first visit to a place because I notice details that would probably cease to inspire me if I went there all the time. So I feel like the first visit mgiht be the best way to document a town or place. These were taken as the light was starting to fall in the evening, so unfortunately it wasn't the best light to work with as I had to use some ISO.

20200704_IMG_8360_AmyEarl.jpg

20200704_IMG_8365_AmyEarl.jpg

20200704_IMG_8336_AmyEarl.jpg

AlanLichty

In 2003 I took an online photo composition class from Tony Sweet through a web site called Better Photo. At the time Tony was not sold on digital photography at all and was somewhat annoyed that I insisted on using my Canon D60 for most of the course assignments. One lesson was centered on the technique of taking two images of a subject with one of them wildly out of focus and then overlaying them to create an artistic composite image. I had to get creative to mimic the effect using my DSLR and Photoshop and did create some images that looked quite similar to the ones the other students were submitting for the class exercise. These are some of the images that I submitted for that class assignment. I made no effort to reprocess these from the original .psd files I worked up in 2003 other than to resize them and convert to sRGB/JPEG.

Anemones in my yard:

Anenome.jpg

A daffodil from the yard also. I did mist it after placing it in a vase with a dark backdrop.

Daffodil1-1.jpg

Jantzen Beach used to have a carousel that was left over from its days as an amusement park in the middle of the Columbia River. I had to go the rounds with the carousel operator to let me take images of the pony since they are handmade and considered protected works of art. I had to promise to never allow the images to be used for commercial purposes and they let me set up my tripod to shoot.

Carousel Pony2.jpg

In 2003 I took an online photo composition class from Tony Sweet through a web site called Better Photo. At the time Tony was not sold on digital photography at all and was somewhat annoyed that I insisted on using my Canon D60 for most of the course assignments. One lesson was centered on the technique of taking two images of a subject with one of them wildly out of focus and then overlaying them to create an artistic composite image. I had to get creative to mimic the effect using my DSLR and Photoshop and did create some images that looked quite similar to the ones the other students were submitting for the class exercise. These are some of the images that I submitted for that class assignment. I made no effort to reprocess these from the original .psd files I worked up in 2003 other than to resize them and convert to sRGB/JPEG.

Anemones in my yard:

View attachment 31098

A daffodil from the yard also. I did mist it after placing it in a vase with a dark backdrop.

View attachment 31100

Jantzen Beach used to have a carousel that was left over from its days as an amusement park in the middle of the Columbia River. I had to go the rounds with the carousel operator to let me take images of the pony since they are handmade and considered protected works of art. I had to promise to never allow the images to be used for commercial purposes and they let me set up my tripod to shoot.

View attachment 31099
Very nice images, Alan. I really like the carrousel horse.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Guys, yes, i did all this work with a wheelbarrow and shovel. Took about 10 years to get it like this. Yes, I did have trouble with GBH eating my koi, also racoons until the koi got too big. I also had a moose get in the pond once and make a mess.

Here is what it looked like after the first wall and before the pond.
23656273.IMG0029.jpg

A close friend of mine, Joe Kayne, loved to do street art and introduced me to this genre of photography. This led me to adopt this type of photography which I call Americana. Here are a few of these images.

A small country store with beautiful artwork painted on the side. Unfortunately, the art work has been slowly destroyed by the elements. This is in Cornville which is a short distance from my house.

desert market.jpg

This mural is on the wall of Glaziers Market in Kanab, UT It tells the early history of Kanab, UT

Glazners Market Mural.jpg

This is a mosaic of tiles is on the wall of the Safeway Store in Carmel, CA When Safeway decided they wanted to build a new store and tear down the old one, the towns people opposed it and this beautiful mosaic remains as one the towns historic features. It was done by famous California artist John Garth.

john garth.jpg

Thanks Guys, yes, i did all this work with a wheelbarrow and shovel. Took about 10 years to get it like this. Yes, I did have trouble with GBH eating my koi, also racoons until the koi got too big. I also had a moose get in the pond once and make a mess.

Here is what it looked like after the first wall and before the pond.View attachment 31120
Wow!! I don't know how you left the area, Ben. This is just beautiful.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I see it in the second shot. I've never gotten a MW reflection so I have no worthwhile advice.
A close friend of mine, Joe Kayne, loved to do street art and introduced me to this genre of photography. This led me to adopt this type of photography which I call Americana. Here are a few of these images.

A small country store with beautiful artwork painted on the side. Unfortunately, the art work has been slowly destroyed by the elements. This is in Cornville which is a short distance from my house.

View attachment 31119

This mural is on the wall of Glaziers Market in Kanab, UT It tells the early history of Kanab, UT

View attachment 31122

This is a mosaic of tiles is on the wall of the Safeway Store in Carmel, CA When Safeway decided they wanted to build a new store and tear down the old one, the towns people opposed it and this beautiful mosaic remains as one the towns historic features. It was done by famous California artist John Garth.

View attachment 31140
This is different and delightful Douglas.

AlanLichty

Neat set - I have seen the mural in Kanab but not the ones in rest of this collection.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Well, not Sunday anymore, so late to the party.

One thing I don't do at all, unless something catches my eye while I am out and about is street photography. This is from the Victoria harbor in British Columbia. I was getting set for sunset on the harbor and this guy was putting on a show.

VQ1O2168.jpg

AlanLichty

Well, not Sunday anymore, so late to the party.

One thing I don't do at all, unless something catches my eye while I am out and about is street photography. This is from the Victoria harbor in British Columbia. I was getting set for sunset on the harbor and this guy was putting on a show.
Looks like he knew he was being photographed with the direct look at the camera. Fun way to catch the flame show.

Top Bottom