Sunflowers and Irises

Colorado CJ

Deep Space Objects that is.

Last night was the first clear night in a couple of weeks, so I spent a few hours imaging.

I couldn't spend all night out as it was a weekday, otherwise these images would look a lot nicer.

The Iris Nebula is buried in interstellar dust, roughly 1300 light years away. The blue color comes from dust and matter behind the bright magnitude 7 star. This is a 100 minute image. This object was also low on the horizon, under 20 degrees, so it isn't near as clear and detailed as it could have been if I shot it later in the season.

Next is the Sunflower Galaxy. Roughly 27 Million light years away, it is a good example of a "flocculent" galaxy, or a galaxy that doesn't have defined spiral arms. I only shot this one for 30 minutes, so it isn't very detailed and is pretty noisy.

Hopefully we have a clear weekend so I can spend more time on more astrophotography.

Iris Nebula 100 Minutes Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Sunflower Galaxy 30 min small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

JimFox

Staff member
Super cool work Andrew! Your shot of the Iris Nebular is stellar! Excellent work on that, and it's hard to imagine it could be even better. The Sunflower galaxy as looks really great. Even though it doesn't have those spread out spiral arms on it, it still has some very nice swirls going on.

I was able to capture a bit of the Pinwheel Galaxy 2 nights ago, which felt like a miracle all in of itself with my manual setup. I got an hour on it, but I haven't liked what I have seen from it so far when processing. So I will get back to it after working on some Milky Way shots.

Top Bottom