Sunset Pano: Morning Star, Sperry, Big Four

AlanLichty

Nice looking pano. My guess is you replaced the sky since the sun angle on the clouds is close but not quite matching the sun angle on the peaks. Very close to a match and if you hadn't clued me in to be looking I could have missed the overlay. Is this Luminar 4?

Jim Dockery

You nailed it Alan. Pretty cool tool for replacing the sky - my favorite aspect is that you can use your own sky in addition to the few they give you. Definitely digital art though.

Jim Dockery

Thanks Bart, I'm prejudiced about this shot since I've climbed all these mountains and looking at this brings back good memories. About 10 years ago I did the first winter ascent of the east face of Sperry, which is the steep wall facing the camera of the central peak. Our route followed the gully just right of center, up to the skyline ridge and then to the summit. The last bit being the hardest in steep deep snow that we were swimming up in places.

JimFox

Staff member
This is a really cool shot Jim. Love that light, and thanks for sharing the story of you making the first winter ascent there.

Bart Carrig

Wow Jim. The story is as great as the image. I'm an adventurer of sorts -- but I could never imagine climbing something like that - let alone: IN WINTER !!

I'll bet you can visit that memory most vividly. And it's great to have a super photo of it.

My hat's off.

bart

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Lovely shot - manipulated or not. And very impressive that you climbed these peaks. Way beyond my capability.

Jim Dockery

A few shots from the climb of Sperry's East face.

Spindrift.jpg

Here is a shot of one of my partners climbing the first steep part. Good ice here so we were dragging ropes and not belaying.

first-crux.jpg

Ice crux

Sunset-from-Sperry.jpg

My favorite shot of the day, taken from near the top while we took a short rest to gobble some food. View SE to Vega Tower and Del Campo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom