The Pensive One (Infrared)

Jim Peterson

Staff member
The Pensive One (Infrared). The beautiful Cherie is one remarkable, and remarkably upbeat, lady. She’s a working mom who (with her husband) rises to the many challenges of raising a LARGE family (I’ve lost count, but they have several biological kids plus multiple adopted kids and young fosters). And as if that weren’t enough, she excels as a professional fashion model as well. All of which gives her plenty to contemplate during quiet moments while posing for photos, as she was doing here during a “meet and greet” session hosted by Red Bench Photo Studio in Jerome, Arizona.

Tech info: Nikon D3200 camera (modified for infrared with 590nm filter) with Nikon 28-300mm lens at 40mm, 1/50 sec. at f8, ISO 200.

Image ©2020 James D. Peterson

The-Pensive-One-Infrared.jpg

AlanLichty

The infrared almost imparts a goth look to this model. I think it's mostly how the eyes are so much more prominent than her lips and other facial features. Interesting portrait.

JimFox

Staff member
Very cool Jim. She has a great look to her. What a busy woman, and she looks beautiful despite her full plate.

A question, do you have a hot spot with your lens? I am really having a hard time avoiding hot spots with no matter what lens Iuse it seems.

Jim Peterson

Staff member
Very cool Jim. She has a great look to her. What a busy woman, and she looks beautiful despite her full plate.

A question, do you have a hot spot with your lens? I am really having a hard time avoiding hot spots with no matter what lens Iuse it seems.
Thanks, @JimFox ! RE your question: a few of my lenses create hot spots, so I avoid using those for IR. The rest seem to work well for IR; the one I used for this image (Nikon 28-300mm) is excellent for IR.

I don't have any experience with using an IR filter over the lens on an unconverted camera; it's possible that's part of your problem. Dunno.

Beyond that, you can find a few web sites that rate various lenses for IR use, but I'm not sure they are totally reliable. For example, I found one that says that the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 lens doesn't cause hot spots - but mine certainly does.

Also, it's possible that different copies of a given lens model behave differently with IR, since generally the manufacturers don't design or test lenses at IR wavelengths.

Bottom line: in my experience, nothing works better than trial and error!

Jim Peterson

Staff member
Here's an update -- what Cherie has to say about her kids: "4 (20 yrs, 17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs) biological, 1(2yrs) adopted, 2 (17yrs & 15yrs) legal guardianship, 3 (4yrs, 2yrs, 1yr) fosters, for a grand total of 10!!!!! Crazy??? Yeah maybe a little but I love it!!!! "

Top Bottom