Thursday task - 12-17-2020

We have all been cooped up and prevented from taking photographic trips to places we have been dreaming about so let's post images of places we would like to go when this crazy COVID - 19 plague is over.

My wife and I were going to go to western Canada last fall and we still want to go so here are some images from the last time I went in the fall. These images are from a trip I took in 1998.

Lake Louise in Banff National Park. Alberta
Lake Louise rocks.jpg

Larch covered Mountain in Banff National Park, Alberta.
Larch covred montain.jpg

Mount Kidd in Kananaskis Country Provincial Park.
kidd sunrise.jpg

Kyle Jones

That's kind of a tough one, as I haven't actually been to the places I want to go. Two immediately come to mind: (1) I had to postpone my trip to Botswana this year and it is now on the calendar for July 2021. Hopefully I can make that happen. (2) Now that I am spending a lot of my time in Western Montana I'd really like to visit Waterton Lakes just across the (closed) border in Canada.

So here are some images from Africa (Egypt) and Canada (Banff). Best I can do...

Africa (with animals :) )
1141 Pyramid and Camels_850.jpg

Canada
4221 Castle Mountain Winter_850.jpg

Jeffrey

Sorry to hear you're not getting out much Douglas. Covid is not stopping me at all (except for international travel). I spent two weeks in NM then two in CO, and then a few days in Yosemite. Looking to be in Joshua Tree soon. I have 4x4 and camp remotely (except in Yosemite). I see almost no one. I am actually safer out there than I am at home. Even my wife says to me, 'Stay out as long as you like'! So here are some from places I hope to get to soon...

joshuadusk1.jpg

morningcactus2.jpg

lppeakmoon.jpg

Jeffrey

Like Jeffrey, I have not been too limited on where I can go. But I still have places I want to return to.
Marlboro Point, I would like to just stay there for a few days.
Skyline overlook.
Two really fine images, Ben. I never tire of The Overlook. Is Marlboro Point within the national park? Maybe we'll meet up there someday.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Two really fine images, Ben. I never tire of The Overlook. Is Marlboro Point within the national park? Maybe we'll meet up there someday.
Marlboro is on BLM land adjacent to Deadhorse. Its about a class 5 road but only 2-3 miles of it.

AlanLichty

For me the impact has been close to home destinations more than exotic ones. One of my favorite places to shoot is the Columbia River Gorge but large parts of the place have been shut down for months now. None of my favorite waterfalls can be accessed with all of the waterfall parking areas blocked by concrete barriers along the Historic Highway. No stopping is allowed anywhere along the historic highway other than for residents who live along the roadway.

Horsetail Falls:
CRG-HorsetailFalls2.jpg

The base of Latourell Falls
BaseOfLatourell4.jpg

Wahclella Falls:
WahclellaFalls4.jpg

Covid-19 is not the sole access issue in the Gorge as there are still major impacts to the trails along some of the popular destinations from the Eagle Creek Fire in the fall of 2017. The trail to the falls in the last image (Wahclella) is still being rebuilt after this side canyon almost burned down to bare soil in that fire.

Ken Rennie

At the present time we can not travel to Scotland (10 miles away) or Wales and are advised not to travel unless necessary but are not allowed to stay overnight. We can travel to other countries but that usually means 14 days quarantine on arrival and return so not really worth it. I would like to return to Germany cycling and Northern Spain for Photography. My last visit to the Northern coast was in October and unfortunately it means that the golden hour and most of the hour before has the coast in shade from the high cliffs so June before the main tourist season and heat. The waves along this coast can be spectacular even, as here, on a calm windless day. As a trial I use photoshops sky replacement tool
_DSC8602.jpg
_DSC8867-4 white stroke.jpg

The beaches and rocks are also spectacular
_DSC9126-3.jpg

The reason for high summer as opposed to October the shadows are already covering half of the beach and we are at least a couple of hours before sunset
_DSC9169-1.jpg

Lastly the German/ Austrian border with Neuschwanstein castle in the mist. Cycling in Germany is terrific with great tracks even if it is starting to get a little difficult getting up the hills.
DSCF5164-Pano-Edit-Edit 2 from CO.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
At the present time we can not travel to Scotland (10 miles away) or Wales and are advised not to travel unless necessary but are not allowed to stay overnight. We can travel to other countries but that usually means 14 days quarantine on arrival and return so not really worth it. I would like to return to Germany cycling and Northern Spain for Photography. My last visit to the Northern coast was in October and unfortunately it means that the golden hour and most of the hour before has the coast in shade from the high cliffs so June before the main tourist season and heat. The waves along this coast can be spectacular even, as here, on a calm windless day. As a trial I use photoshops sky replacement tool
View attachment 34548View attachment 34549
The beaches and rocks are also spectacular
View attachment 34550

The reason for high summer as opposed to October the shadows are already covering half of the beach and we are at least a couple of hours before sunset
View attachment 34555

Lastly the German/ Austrian border with Neuschwanstein castle in the mist. Cycling in Germany is terrific with great tracks even if it is starting to get a little difficult getting up the hills.
View attachment 34551
Very cool Ken! Those would be great places to get back too!

Jim Dockery

Ben, what is a class 5 road? Can you give us a link to a description of road classifications? I just got my first 4x4 truck and will have it in southern UT next year. I'd love to get to Marlboro, but that might be too much with a camper.

My wife and I are pretty much locking ourselves down until we can get the vaccine, no longer trips out of state. Like others here I want to get back up to the Rockies, maybe next summer??

Icefields-Parkway-bw.jpg

Icefields Parkway

Jupitor-Mtbw.jpg

Jupitor Mt., Selkirks

Last edited:

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Ben, what is a class 5 road? Can you give us a link to a description of road classifications? I just got my first 4x4 truck and will have in in southern UT next year. I'd love to get to Marlboro, but that might be too much with a camper.

My wife and I are pretty much locking ourselves down until we can get the vaccine, no longer trips out of state. Like others here I want to get back up to the Rockies, maybe next summer??

View attachment 34557
Icefields Parkway

View attachment 34558
Jupitor Mt., Selkirks

I am still trying to learn the road classifications which are different depending on what book you read. I have not been able to find a classification for this road. I would not attempt it in a 4WD camper unless it was a light weight camper and has high clearance and really good tires. Lots of rock crawling.

MonikaC

Ben, what is a class 5 road? Can you give us a link to a description of road classifications? I just got my first 4x4 truck and will have it in southern UT next year. I'd love to get to Marlboro, but that might be too much with a camper.

View attachment 34557
Icefields Parkway

View attachment 34558
Jupitor Mt., Selkirks
Jim, I haven't been out to Marlboro Point in some years, but as I recall, the "road" (more like a 2-track at the time) was both soft/sandy and rocky (sandstone slabs and some loose rocks).

Tom Narwid

We have all been cooped up and prevented from taking photographic trips to places we have been dreaming about so let's post images of places we would like to go when this crazy COVID - 19 plague is over.

My wife and I were going to go to western Canada last fall and we still want to go so here are some images from the last time I went in the fall. These images are from a trip I took in 1998.

Lake Louise in Banff National Park. Alberta
View attachment 34533

Larch covered Mountain in Banff National Park, Alberta.
View attachment 34536

Mount Kidd in Kananaskis Country Provincial Park.
View attachment 34537
I would love to get back to Vermont for one more fall shoot before the lights go out!
west fairlee, Vt-11.jpg

Ken Rennie

For me the impact has been close to home destinations more than exotic ones. One of my favorite places to shoot is the Columbia River Gorge but large parts of the place have been shut down for months now. None of my favorite waterfalls can be accessed with all of the waterfall parking areas blocked by concrete barriers along the Historic Highway. No stopping is allowed anywhere along the historic highway other than for residents who live along the roadway.

Horsetail Falls:
View attachment 34552

The base of Latourell Falls
View attachment 34553

Wahclella Falls:
View attachment 34554
"For me the impact has been close to home destinations more than exotic ones." Columbia River Gorge seems pretty exotic to me. Ken

Top Bottom