Thursday's Task 03/24/2021

I apologize for the second week in a row for not getting this post up on time Thursday. Last time I knew I was gong to miss and forewarned that it would be on Saturday. This week unforeseen circumstances prevented me from posting on Thursday. This week's task is going to be images you have taken on your favorite hike. This hike can be anywhere and it can be a specific hike to get to the place you want to photograph. Mine is from a place in Illinois called Messenger Woods. It is a county park that is a wonderful woodland in which to photograph carpets of wildflowers in the spring. It is a serene place to walk and collect your thoughts.

Virginia Bluebells, Blue-eyed Mary, and wild Ginger.
messenger woods.jpg

Great White Trillium
Trillium.jpg

Blue-eyed Mary and Virginia Bluebells
blue eyed mary.jpg

Last edited:

AlanLichty

I was torn between the Trail of Ten Falls in Silver Falls State Park and Sweet Creek in the Siuslaw National Forest but Sweet Creek won out since my favored times to visit have mostly been devoid of other visitors. As you might have guessed from the images I picked out I prefer fall for this trail.

SCTwinFalls4.jpg

SCTreeFall.jpg

Jim Dockery

Mt. Pilchuck is the closest mountain to my house and the trailhead used to be about 30 min. from where I worked so I could get up there multiple times a week for a great little spring ski run that often had us descending with a beautiful sunset as a backdrop. I was there for the skiing, but of course always brought a little camera along.

3-Fingers-Pilchuck_Panorama1b.jpg

View from near my house, Pilchuck is the peak on the right.

dusk-e-from-Pilchuck_Pano3.jpg

Summer view from the summit at dusk looking east toward Glacier Peak.

Eby-Slough-dusk.jpg

Sunsets behind the Olympics, Puget Sound & Ebby Slough

Mt.-Pilchuck-9.7.18-(44).jpg

Looking north to Mt. Baker

Pilchuck-5.20.13-(43).jpg

My buddy we call "Jumpin Jeff" for obvious reasons.

Pilchuck-6.4.17_0172.jpg

Snowboarding into the mist on a foggy day.

Larrison-sunset-ski.jpg

Skiing down at sunset.

Ken Rennie

My walk is in Borrowdale in the English Lake District. It is only about 4 miles in total through mostly birch trees ending on a crag overlooking Derwentwater.
The start of the walk is the car park just visible 1/5th from the bottom in the middle.
_DSC1679-1 1600.jpg

This area of England is a temperate rainforest with the highest rainfall in England leading to very wet underfoot conditions.
_DSC5606-1 fb.jpg

The steep sides of the valley produce sunlit trees against a dark background for a few weeks in Spring and Autumn.
_DSC5486-Pano-1 from jpeg2.jpg

The walk ends on top of a crag with terrific views across Derwentwater.

Untitled_Panorama-2.jpg

_DSC0793-1.jpg

_DSC1606-1.jpg

All is not perfect here, the bracken grows above head height and can be impossible to get through, oh and the odd tick makes careful body checking necessary. The highland midge is making an appearance fortunately not in Scottish quantities and it rains about 200 days a year. Ken

Debbie Stahre

I apologize for the second week in a row for not getting this post up on time Thursday. Last time I knew I was gong to miss and forewarned that it would be on Saturday. This week unforeseen circumstances prevented me from posting on Thursday. This week's task is going to be images you have taken on your favorite hike. This hike can be anywhere and it can be a specific hike to get to the place you want to photograph. Mine is from a place in Illinois called Messenger Woods. It is a county park that is a wonderful woodland in which to photograph carpets of wildflowers in the spring. It is a serene place to walk and collect your thoughts.
View attachment 37890

Great White Trillium
View attachment 37904

Blue-eyed Mary and Virginia Bluebells
View attachment 37893
What a beautiful place Doug.... I can certainly see why you go there!

Mt. Pilchuck is the closest mountain to my house and the trailhead used to be about 30 min. from where I worked so I could get up there multiple times a week for a great little spring ski run that often had us descending with a beautiful sunset as a backdrop. I was there for the skiing, but of course always brought a little camera along.

View attachment 37912
View from near my house, Pilchuck is the peak on the right.

View attachment 37913
Summer view from the summit at dusk looking east toward Glacier Peak.

View attachment 37914
Sunsets behind the Olympics, Puget Sound & Ebby Slough

View attachment 37915
Looking north to Mt. Baker

View attachment 37916
My buddy we call "Jumpin Jeff" for obvious reasons.

View attachment 37917
Snowboarding into the mist on a foggy day.

View attachment 37918
Skiing down at sunset.
Beautiful series, Jim.

My walk is in Borrowdale in the English Lake District. It is only about 4 miles in total through mostly birch trees ending on a crag overlooking Derwentwater.
The start of the walk is the car park just visible 1/5th from the bottom in the middle.View attachment 37924
This area of England is a temperate rainforest with the highest rainfall in England leading to very wet underfoot conditions.
View attachment 37926
The steep sides of the valley produce sunlit trees against a dark background for a few weeks in Spring and Autumn.
View attachment 37925

View attachment 37927

View attachment 37922

View attachment 37923

All is not perfect here, the bracken grows above head height and can be impossible to get through, oh and the odd tick makes careful body checking necessary. The highland midge is making an appearance fortunately not in Scottish quantities and it rains about 200 days a year. Ken
A beautiful walk and spectacular images, Ken.

I was torn between the Trail of Ten Falls in Silver Falls State Park and Sweet Creek in the Siuslaw National Forest but Sweet Creek won out since my favored times to visit have mostly been devoid of other visitors. As you might have guessed from the images I picked out I prefer fall for this trail.

View attachment 37900

View attachment 37901
You are so fortunate to live in the PNW, Alan and we are so fortunate that you have learned to tame the chaos.

MonikaC

The start of the walk is the car park just visible 1/5th from the bottom in the middle.View attachment 37924
View attachment 37926
View attachment 37925

View attachment 37927

View attachment 37922

View attachment 37923

Absolutely gorgeous, Ken......but your description certainly puts it in perspective!

MonikaC

Hard to choose a "favorite" hike. There are all the local ones, then there are the ones that are farther away and demand more effort (and therefore seem more special). Maybe it's because I'm planning on this summer's trip, and maybe because this is a really special place, but for this week, I'll choose the Wind Rivers. This is from when I walked in to Titcomb Basin for the eclipse (I specifically decided not to shoot the eclipse from there as my pack was already going to be heavy enough without a huge lens & appropriately burlier tripod to support it).

TitcombLE.jpg

Top Bottom