Thursday's Task - 07/30/2020

Douglas Sherman

Supporting Member
Today, let's post an image or images of a location where you camped out right at the location in order to get the first rays of sunlight in the morning. Mine are of Muley Point in Utah overlooking the San Juan River valley with Monument Valley in the distance. I slept in the back of my SUV, rolled out before sunrise, and walked about 100 feet to this location.

Muhley Point Boulder.jpg

Muhley Point.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Good one Douglas, I do the same and at several places, including Muley Point. Since you already show Muley point, I won't repeat, I also do this at Skyline overlook, but I have already shown too many from there, and same for Christmas Meadows, so maybe Factory Butte. I camped right out a side road and walked about 100 yards to get this shot.

Middle of the night

200505-12690-5DS R copy.jpg

Nest morning

200506-12713-5DS R.jpg

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Wow, great sunrise images Doug, Ben and Alan.

Mine is from my favorite hunting ground - Mt Rainier. On this occasion, arrived there for sunset which wasn't what I expected as the clouds all dissipated and left a plain cloudless sky. That opened the opportunity for some MW action later that night. Took a short nap in the car and then woke up to capture the sunrise.

5DSR3085.jpg

VQ1O2573.jpg

Jim Dockery

Camping at great sunrise/sunset locations is one of the most enjoyable aspects of alpine climbing. The shots below though were just a big hike (5.5 miles gaining 5000+ ft.) to the summit of Mt. Pugh in Washington's central Cascades. The summit only has room for a few sleeping bags so I was lucky to have it to myself this beautiful summer night a few years ago. It was also my first real test of my newSony A7rII, which worked like a charm.

Pugh-descent4.jpg

Looking back down the curving summit ridge. The hike starts just above the valley below.

Mt.-Pugh-Sunset-(91).jpg

Sunset looking back towards Mt. Pilchuck on the left.

Mt.-Pugh-Sunset-(141).jpg

Three Fingers

_DSC6026.jpg

One of my favorite star & moon pictures, dawn behind Glacier Pk.

Mt.-Pugh-Sunrise-(103).jpg

Sunrise behind Glacier Pk.

Mt.-Pugh-Sunrise-(28).jpg

Mt. Rainier

Mt.-Pugh-Sunrise-(108).jpg

Mt. Baker

Mt.-Pugh-Sunrise-(419).jpg

Mt. Baker & Whitechuck as I hiked down.

Ken Rennie

Schwangau in Bavaria on one of my many cycling trips that go through this spellbinding location. Crawled out of my tent in the half ight before dawn, jumped on my bike for 5 minutes to capture the first light hitting the Alps with Neuschwanstein Castle in the background and St Coloman's church in the foreground.
DSCF5164-Pano-Edit-Edit 2 from CO.jpg

DSCF5191-1 from laptop.jpg

Kyle Jones

I rarely camp out for this - I'll usually book a room somewhere and do an early drive/hike. I did, though, camp out for some star circles and sunrise at Castle Crags. I left the camera out all night capturing images of Castle Dome and Mount Shasta to create a star circle image I had envisioned. In the morning I got up to capture sunrise as well.

1) The star circles
5902 Castle Dome Star Circles_850.jpg

2) Castle Dome at Sunrise
6004 Castle Dome and Shasta_850.jpg

3) And Castle Crags
6005 Castle Crags_850.jpg

John Holbrook

Congratulations all—very impressive images made much more so by roughing it at these inspiring locations. An alternative Thursday‘s Task suggestion: staying in a nearby motel but skipping the complementary breakfast to speed to the sunrise location, staying marginally within the local speed limit—that I can do!

AlanLichty

Congratulations all—very impressive images made much more so by roughing it at these inspiring locations. An alternative Thursday‘s Task suggestion: staying in a nearby motel but skipping the complementary breakfast to speed to the sunrise location, staying marginally within the local speed limit—that I can do!
Camping is a relative term here with a very wide range of examples in this thread: Jim Dockery backpacked up to the top of a peak in the Cascades to spend the night on a flat spot while my "campsite" was a level paved space between the trees in a state park with full hookups for my RV. I would be hard pressed to describe my rolling accommodations as roughing it. I used to do a lot of motel based photo touring when I was still working but decided I wanted to be able to stay near where I want to shoot when I retired. In hindsight I have found that motel rooms are actually rather primitive places to stay :)

Douglas Sherman

Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestion, John. That will be next Thursday's task.

Douglas Sherman

Supporting Member
Good one Douglas, I do the same and at several places, including Muley Point. Since you already show Muley point, I won't repeat, I also do this at Skyline overlook, but I have already shown too many from there, and same for Christmas Meadows, so maybe Factory Butte. I camped right out a side road and walked about 100 yards to get this shot.

Middle of the night

View attachment 30845

Nest morning

View attachment 30846
These are great, Ben but that first one is super nice.

Douglas Sherman

Supporting Member
Wow, great sunrise images Doug, Ben and Alan.

Mine is from my favorite hunting ground - Mt Rainier. On this occasion, arrived there for sunset which wasn't what I expected as the clouds all dissipated and left a plain cloudless sky. That opened the opportunity for some MW action later that night. Took a short nap in the car and then woke up to capture the sunrise.

View attachment 30849

View attachment 30850
Really nice images, Jameel. That second one showing the alpine glacier snaking its way down Mt. Rainier is great.

Douglas Sherman

Supporting Member
Camping at great sunrise/sunset locations is one of the most enjoyable aspects of alpine climbing. The shots below though were just a big hike (5.5 miles gaining 5000+ ft.) to the summit of Mt. Pugh in Washington's central Cascades. The summit only has room for a few sleeping bags so I was lucky to have it to myself this beautiful summer night a few years ago. It was also my first real test of my newSony A7rII, which worked like a charm.

View attachment 30853
Looking back down the curving summit ridge. The hike starts just above the valley below.

View attachment 30855
Sunset looking back towards Mt. Pilchuck on the left.

View attachment 30854
Three Fingers

View attachment 30852
One of my favorite star & moon pictures, dawn behind Glacier Pk.

View attachment 30860
Sunrise behind Glacier Pk.

View attachment 30859
Mt. Rainier

View attachment 30858
Mt. Baker

View attachment 30856
Mt. Baker & Whitechuck as I hiked down.
Such a beautiful series, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Douglas Sherman

Supporting Member
I rarely camp out for this - I'll usually book a room somewhere and do an early drive/hike. I did, though, camp out for some star circles and sunrise at Castle Crags. I left the camera out all night capturing images of Castle Dome and Mount Shasta to create a star circle image I had envisioned. In the morning I got up to capture sunrise as well.

1) The star circles
View attachment 30868

2) Castle Dome at Sunrise
View attachment 30865

3) And Castle Crags
View attachment 30864
Great images, Kyle. I remember when star circles were all the rage but now you seldom see new ones. I still like them as much s the Milky Way images.

Top Bottom