Tom Narwid

It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that my good friend Tom Narwid passed away early last Friday morning. Tom was the consummate New England and American Southwest landscape photographer. His name was well known in New England because of his outstanding images which appeared in New England calendars and magazines for many years. He became well known in the Southwest because of his American Landscape Gallery in Jerome, AZ

Tom had a PhD in organic chemistry and worked at Rouche in the pharmaceutical industry solving problems at their facilities all over the world. He eventually moved to Cottonwood, AZ where he and his wife Joan opened a GNC Store. Shortly thereafter he opened the American Landscape Gallery in Jerome, AZ.

When I moved to Cottonwood Arizona twenty years ago, I went to his gallery and was impressed with his work. I wanted to ask him if he would be interested in carrying my work in his gallery but it took me two years to get up the courage to do so. When I finally did, he asked to see my work and agreed to take images of flowers and landscapes that didn't compete with his work. I worked with him for six years until the 2008 recession caused him to close the gallery. We became close friends over those years and did a lot of photography trips together.

His 4x5 photographic work was outstanding as you can see in the images below. I took these images from his pbase website to illustrate the bestselling images in his gallery. It was amazing to me how he could sell so many New England images in a gallery in the Southwest. Normally people are looking to buy images from the area they are visiting.

A small garden in East Corinth, VT.
52406094.E.CorinthVt2-Edit.jpg

Early morning fog in East Peacham, VT.
52406095.E.PeachamVt-Edit.jpg

This image of Lake Powell was his best seller for many years.
52426104.LakePowellAz1-Edit.jpg

Winter at the Grand Canyon
65644259.WNzhY6bD.GrandCanyonArizona-Edit.jpg

I would like to memorialize him by having members here add comments about Tom and/or sharing an image you took while photographing with him. Here is mine of an early winter morning at Mather Point at the Grand Canyon. It was really cold that morning.
Grand canyon winter card.jpg

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Wow Doug! That is extremely sad news. Tom was such a great member of our community and he will be missed deeply. Tom definitely had world class photos in his portfolio. Does he have any surviving family members?

I don't think I ever photographed with him. I do recall the time a bunch of us got together in Sedona, it was great to meet him then in person.

Thank you Doug for this fitting memorial.

dan swiger

I wish I could have spent time photographing with him!
I also enjoyed seeing his work here
It was an encouragement to me to continue in my film work.
He certainly set the standard

Wow Doug! That is extremely sad news. Tom was such a great member of our community and he will be missed deeply. Tom definitely had world class photos in his portfolio. Does he have any surviving family members?

I don't think I ever photographed with him. I do recall the time a bunch of us got together in Sedona, it was great to meet him then in person.

Thank you Doug for this fitting memorial.
His wife and two children survive him.

Bob

Doug,
As you already know I am very sad to hear about passing of Tom. I shot with him many times and he was a very funny guy. Loved his humor and his politics. I will miss him very much. His New England images are the best I have every seen and he and I had a love of shooting the New England area. I will miss him very much.
Bob

MonikaC

Doug, I'm sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I never met him, but you have posted a beautiful tribute to him. Best wishes to his family as they go forth from here.

Jeffrey

Sad news indeed. Doug, I remember you telling me about Tom when I was with you in AZ, and how highly you regarded him. Sorry I never met him, but through this forum and his images, we were like friends.

JimFox

Staff member
I decided to Honor Tom by going back and looking over some of his photos he has posted here. You can do that also by going to the Member page, and searching for Tom Narwind. Then look at "Postings" and then "Find" and you can display the Threads he has created which would be were his posted photos will be (mainly).

So as I went back, I saved a few of the ones that really jumped out at me and I will attach them here as a way to remember Tom's influence. Tom was known for his photography in Vermont, but perhaps like many of us, Tom was a very excellent photographer in many types of photography. Like his macro images of computer chips, his deep space astro, and then also his photographing around Arizona.

I would encourage others, if you have the time, to go back and look at some of Tom's photos he has posted here, and pick out a few to add to this Memorial Thread.

Bogey Mtn Farm.JPG
E. Corinth, Vt.jpg
Gd Canyon, Az.jpg
moon 4-28-12.jpg
Norwich Vt-2.jpg
Rosette-10 x 180-1.jpg
Schnebly Snow-1.jpg
spider rk-1.jpg

Top Bottom