Travel to the States for 50th birthday (3yrs time!)

Graeme F

OK. So this probably counts as a little forward in terms of planning but for my 50th I want to travel to the States!

The photographic tour I would like to take over a couple of weeks would include (ideally) things I've always wanted too see namely in no specific order:

1. Desert
2. Desert at night (astro)
3. Redwood tree forest
4. Grand Canyon
5. Meteor crator
6. Rural American architecture (old barns, abandoned period houses etc).

I would be travelling with my family (wife if she is still talking to me by then and 11 year old son).

Can anyone recommend photograph centric tour organisers who might work with me to put together a trip of the lifetime?

Any suggestions or even itinerary ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Utah or Arizona would be my choice for desert. Grand Canyon is in Arizona. The Red woods are quite a way from this area. Lots of opportunity for rural America in this area. Can't help with craters.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Graeme,

It sounds like you want to pay a tour guide for this trip? If so, I would suggest you just do it on your own. We can help set up the locations and even meet up with along the way.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest a loop that starts in California where you could visit the Redwoods, Yosemite and Death Valley. From Death Valley you head into Arizona where there are meteor craters and the Grand Canyon. From there you could head up to Moab and Arches National Park before taking the I-70 back to California and your flight back home.

Graeme F

Thanks folks. Still at the very earliest of planning.
Any suggestions time of year? I presume summer would be too hot? Would April/May or September be better?

JimFox

Staff member
Either would be great. April/May brings you spring wild flowers, but late September brings you fall colors.

Yep, Summer can be too hot some places, though fine for others.

Graeme F

Interesting. Have to factor in school times and things like milky way not to mention travel from Ireland. Think 3 weeks would be needed

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Another issue with a guide is you would have a hard time finding one guide for all your destinations.

JimFox

Staff member
Interesting. Have to factor in school times and things like milky way not to mention travel from Ireland. Think 3 weeks would be needed
3 weeks would be good. If you wanted the Milky Way then that means you want April/May.
Fall colors are great, but if you go to a place like Yosemite the water levels will be very low.

Top Bottom