Virgin Falls

Jon Buffington

It has been a bit since I posted here. Still out shooting and need to post more.

There is a falls in the mid cumberland plateau region of TN that I have hiked to and photographed before. It is a very long and brutal down and back hike (roughly 10ish miles total). The state has since created a new trail from the opposite side that I have been wanting to hike. It is a little shorter but more strenuous. I figured shorter was better. It was MUCH more strenous and about 8-9 miles total. I had been wanting to come back in the spring and capture this with B&W film. I hiked in with a lighter weight kit, just my trust nikon fm2n, a 35/2.8 and a 20/2.8 lens w/ tripod. The clouds were intermittent and I hoped I would have cloud cover to avoid the harsh spring sun. The clouds were in and out along the hike but the sun veiled by the clouds when I arrived for a brief few moments allowing some time to shoot. I also had my gopro and may add a short video here in the future. Here are a couple images of the falls. Hope you enjoy!

Nikon FM2n, Kodak TMAX 400/TMY-2, nikon 20/2.8 ai with a yellow/orange filter. Developed in d76 1:1, scanned with a Kodak Pakon F135+ lab scanner (at home).

A little further back with the Nikon series e 35/2.8 and yellow filter

I will post a few more from a falls at the beginning of the hike and a few of the scenery in the coming days.

AlanLichty

Neat looking falls and both of these images are well done. Thanks for bringing us along for the views. This place looks like it would be stunning with fall colors.

Jon Buffington

Neat looking falls and both of these images are well done. Thanks for bringing us along for the views. This place looks like it would be stunning with fall colors.
Thank you and yes, fall colors would be nice but unfortunately, little water. October is very dry in TN and water coming off the plateau is down to a trickle (unless a good soaking rain storm for a few days). Been shooting since 2006 along the cumberland plateau and usually resolve myself to overlooks in the fall, waterfalls in the wet winter and spring months. Summer is waaaaaay too hot and humid to do much serious hiking as well as very touristy and overloaded with folks. By late August, water is low and the falls are down to a trickle as Aug-Oct/Nov are drier months though we do have the occasional wet fall. I will make a mental note to return if we have a wet fall.

AlanLichty

Thank you and yes, fall colors would be nice but unfortunately, little water. October is very dry in TN and water coming off the plateau is down to a trickle (unless a good soaking rain storm for a few days). Been shooting since 2006 along the cumberland plateau and usually resolve myself to overlooks in the fall, waterfalls in the wet winter and spring months. Summer is waaaaaay too hot and humid to do much serious hiking as well as very touristy and overloaded with folks. By late August, water is low and the falls are down to a trickle as Aug-Oct/Nov are drier months though we do have the occasional wet fall. I will make a mental note to return if we have a wet fall.
Interesting - the late summer/early fall low flow rate is a problem for waterfalls in the PNW as well. For all the rain we get during the late fall through spring our summers can be quite dry.

Jon Buffington

Interesting - the late summer/early fall low flow rate is a problem for waterfalls in the PNW as well. For all the rain we get during the late fall through spring our summers can be quite dry.
About the same over here as well though maybe not quite as dry. Though the plateau just drains downhill with nothing to feed it but rain...a week or so of no rain will really cause the creeks and streams up top to drop to a trickle.

Nice B&W rendering Jon. Those are some picturesque falls.
Thank you kindly, they are unique as they come out of the ground and fall back into the ground. There is no stream flowing out as it came from a cave and falls back into a cave.

Two beautiful images Jon
Thank you!

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Jon!

We definitely miss you and your photos. It's great to hear you have been out regularly photographing!

Both of these are great, and a great inspiration. I really need to get out with my Nikon 8008s and shoot some film, thanks for the inspiration.

It's great to hear that they have built a shorter trail.

I think #1 is my favorite, but it's really hard to choose. Both are really well done compositions.

Jon Buffington

Hey Jon!

We definitely miss you and your photos. It's great to hear you have been out regularly photographing!

Both of these are great, and a great inspiration. I really need to get out with my Nikon 8008s and shoot some film, thanks for the inspiration.

It's great to hear that they have built a shorter trail.

I think #1 is my favorite, but it's really hard to choose. Both are really well done compositions.
Thank you Jim for the kind words. I certainly enjoyed capturing these.

Top Bottom