Waterfall Wednesday 6/24/2020

Ken Rennie

Still finding shots from April last year in Skye. Not a waterfall but it is moving. Taken on my first evening
_DSC5982-2.jpg

Unfortunately the weather was not great for photography with harsh light, few clouds and very little water in the rivers.
_DSC6515-1.jpg

I don't like taking moving water with the sun shining on it but needs must. I will return, when allowed, and hope for more typical Scottish with the rivers about four times larger than this. Ken

AlanLichty

Still finding shots from April last year in Skye. Not a waterfall but it is moving. Taken on my first evening

Unfortunately the weather was not great for photography with harsh light, few clouds and very little water in the rivers.

I don't like taking moving water with the sun shining on it but needs must. I will return, when allowed, and hope for more typical Scottish with the rivers about four times larger than this. Ken
I like the low river flow falls - more delicate in the cascades instead of a raging torrent.

JimFox

Staff member
I am on the road, back up in the mountains. I spent several hours yesterday afternoon after hiking up to Blue Lakes in SW Colorado exploring this water source dropping into Lower Blue Lake. It was kind of cool to be able to visually see it dropping off of a cliff several thousand feet higher and then disappear and reappear on its way down into the lake.

Although I took lots of photos of it, I was hoping that by taking a few small videos I could get at least one of them small enough to upload for Waterfall Wednesday. I hope this one isn’t too small as I had to downsize it to get it to upload.

This was at the bottom not to far from where it dumped into Lower Blue Lake.

JimFox

Staff member
Neat video jim
Thanks Ben, I thought it would be something fun and different. I guess there is a way to take slow shutter speed photos with the iPhone, but I haven’t figured that out yet. Being on the road a lot, the iPhone makes an easy way to upload here, but a fast shutter speed just looks bad usually, so I thought the video was a good way around that.

AlanLichty

Thanks Ben, I thought it would be something fun and different. I guess there is a way to take slow shutter speed photos with the iPhone, but I haven’t figured that out yet. Being on the road a lot, the iPhone makes an easy way to upload here, but a fast shutter speed just looks bad usually, so I thought the video was a good way around that.
There is an app called Spectre that does this by taking a bunch of images and then stacking them with some averaging software to create an illusion of a slow shutter speed. I have the app and have played with it but the results are quite variable in terms of how well the static items in the frame turn out since these are typically hand held image stacks.

This is one of the better hand held images I have managed to get out of Spectre so far but note the OOF vegetation down in the lower part of the frame.

SpencerCreek.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
There is an app called Spectre that does this by taking a bunch of images and then stacking them with some averaging software to create an illusion of a slow shutter speed. I have the app and have played with it but the results are quite variable in terms of how well the static items in the frame turn out since these are typically hand held image stacks.

This is one of the better images I have managed to get out of Spectre so far but note the OOF vegetation down in the lower part of the frame.

View attachment 29716
I wonder how that app will work with falling water. Have you tried it on a waterfall?

AlanLichty

I wonder how that app will work with falling water. Have you tried it on a waterfall?
I only got the app in Feb. just before things got shut down and Brookings was the only place I went after the image above. I may have posted this in a thread in March. The first one is from the Redwoods Nature Trail.

Spectre1.jpg

and one from the Secret Beach trail:

Spectre2.jpg

Both of these were taken with the iPhone well braced on top of my camera mounted on my tripod.

Top Bottom