Weekend Challenge - 2021/03/02 - Holga Lens

JimFox

Staff member
It's Here!

Our Weekend Challenge this time is taking photos with a Holga Lens attached to your camera.

I hope everyone has been able to get their Holga Lens from Amazon or whatever camera supplier you use. It was a really fun $15 I spent on mine.

This is for the weekend of April 3 and 4th, 2021.

Please add your photos taken with the Holga Lens to this thread, along with your thoughts on using it.

Thanks so much for all who participate,

Jim

JimFox

Staff member
I have a couple I will start with that I have taken this last week while in Colorado and now New Mexico.

My first thought on using this lens is that it works much better with a full frame then a crop sensor. The affect is very minimal vignetting on a crop sensor, but it has some cool affects with full frame.

#1 - Abandoned building along the I-25 at the southern end of Colorado. I was driving and saw this abandoned farmhouse structure and exited the freeway and took a dirt road out to it.

_D817551_dw.jpg

#2 - Tree Blossoms in Chamayo New Mexico taken on Friday.
_D817633_dw.jpg

Last edited:

Amy Nelson

I have a couple I will start with that I have taken this last week while in Colorado and now New Mexico.

My first thought on using this lens is that it works much better with a full frame then a crop sensor. The affect is very minimal vignetting on a crop sensor, but it has some cool affects with full frame.

#1 - Abandoned building along the I-25 at the southern end of Colorado. I was driving and saw this abandoned farmhouse structure and exited the freeway and took a dirt road out to it.
I think the Holga worked fantastic on the 1st image....perfect use for it. Great job!

JimFox

Staff member
For the Holga Challenge:

All mine were shot on my EOS-R (Full Spectrum), I tried some on my VL 5D Mark IV but haven't like the results yet. May post some VL one's later.

# 1
View attachment 38099

# 2
View attachment 38100

# 3
View attachment 38101

# 4
View attachment 38102

# 5
View attachment 38103
Oh man Amy! You nailed it here. What a great selection of the Holga with the IR, I really like the look you got. I can't really pick favorites because each one is awesome. I will give a shout out though to #4. I really like that look. I actually have a kind of similar feeling shot but with harvested corn stalks in a field. The look of yours though is much better then mine, but I will post mine for grins tomorrow.

Amy Nelson

Oh man Amy! You nailed it here. What a great selection of the Holga with the IR, I really like the look you got. I can't really pick favorites because each one is awesome. I will give a shout out though to #4. I really like that look. I actually have a kind of similar feeling shot but with harvested corn stalks in a field. The look of yours though is much better then mine, but I will post mine for grins tomorrow.
Thanks Jim, this was a fun challenge. I wish I had more time to get out and do more of it, but being the beginning of spring much work to be done.

JimFox

Staff member
When Amy had shared that she was going to put the Holga Lens on one of her IR cameras, I thought what a great idea. So I copied her for a few days last week on an outing I took with my oldest Granddaughter for sunset. Amy's are way better then mine, one thing I found out later is that the Holga Lens works better on a Full Frame then a Crop sensor (which my IR camera is a Crop sensor).

#1. I didn't know what Amy was shooting with her IR Holga captures, but I found this one I had taken kind of also mimicked one of hers at the pond.
_DSC9624_WBbox_dw.jpg

#2. A self portrait as my granddaughter and I were out capturing the moon.
_DSC9633_WBbox_dw.jpg

sweetgrass

Forgive me for being so late to the party, but life has been really busy and haven't had the chance to play around with cheapest lens I have ever purchased in my l.ife. LOL
Today I have the house to myself and following Jim's advice I put the lens on my D750, then took a quick image of some wind chimes. The DOF is odd and no real adjustment, but I like what's going on here. Will need to experiment more.

Image was cropped and processed.

Different angle and a little further away, but cropped and processed.

Honestly I think its the best $16 I've ever spent. LOL

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Forgive me for being so late to the party, but life has been really busy and haven't had the chance to play around with cheapest lens I have ever purchased in my l.ife. LOL
Today I have the house to myself and following Jim's advice I put the lens on my D750, then took a quick image of some wind chimes. The DOF is odd and no real adjustment, but I like what's going on here. Will need to experiment more.

Image was cropped and processed.

Different angle and a little further away, but cropped and processed.

Honestly I think its the best $16 I've ever spent. LOL
Hey Sonny! I am glad you got to join in on our party! These look really cool.

Yeah, DOF is what it is. :)

sweetgrass

This lens has to be one of the worst lenses I have ever worked with. However when I get it right, the results are very artistic and somewhat surreal.

#1 Today I placed it on my Full Spectrum converted D300. Did some basic processing, but there was no WB adjustment or channel swap. I did remove some power lines there were distracting.

#2 Basic processing, and zero'ed out the red channel.

#3 Basic processing.

Last edited:

Amy Earl

Some neat results here. I might consider getting one of these Holga lenses as it seems like fun to play with. I like what sweetgrass called the surreal effect. Amy, I love your #1 and #2 photos. Great work everyone!

JimFox

Staff member
This lens has to be one of the worst lenses I have ever worked with. However when I get it right, the results are very artistic and somewhat surreal.

#1 Today I placed it on my Full Spectrum converted D300. Did some basic processing, but there was no WB adjustment or channel swap. I did remove some power lines there were distracting.

#2 Basic processing, and zero'ed out the red channel.

#3 Basic processing.
Hey Sonny, you worked your magic with these! Way to go on them all. I am glad you finally got a chance to play with it. No favorites, just all fun results from you.

Top Bottom