Wigwam Hotel

JimFox

Staff member
On Monday I was in Holbrook Arizona and drove down a bit of the historic Route 66. One of the hotels on it is still in operation, and it's called the Wigwam Hotel. The Wigwam's are fully functional, I got to peek inside one as the maid was cleaning them.

Nikon D7100 590nm
Channel Swapped

All comments are welcome,

Jim

PS. I totally spelled Wigwam wrong, thanks to Alan for catching it. :)

_DSC0214_WBbox_dw.jpg

Last edited:

AlanLichty

This one works well as a B&W.

Classic US 66 motel that dates back to when the two cars posed in front of the wigwams were new and shiny. I remember going past this place in the 1950's as a child and it hasn't fundamentally changed a bit.

JimFox

Staff member
This one works well as a B&W.

Classic US 66 motel that dates back to when the two cars posed in front of the wigwams were new and shiny. I remember going past this place in the 1950's as a child and it hasn't fundamentally changed a bit.
Thanks Alan. I didn't even think about B&W for this one, I will have to check it out. Though the one thing that might get lost in the B&W that is here in the IR is the rust of the cars.

AlanLichty

LOL - I meant to write IR instead of B&W. I like the golden vegetation in this scene.

For the record its spelled Wigwam and was the name of a chain of motels built in the 1930's and 40's. While wigwams are a circular type of Native American dwellings typically found in the northeastern US the name was used for the teepees that were featured by this motel chain

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Boy look at those old cars. My family took a trip to Iowa from So Cal in 1948 when I was 8 years old so my memories are dim, but I know we traveled most of the way on 66. I like your color choice here Jim.

JimFox

Staff member
LOL - I meant to write IR instead of B&W. I like the golden vegetation in this scene.

For the record its spelled Wigwam and was the name of a chain of motels built in the 1930's and 40's. While wigwams are a circular type of Native American dwellings typically found in the northeastern US the name was used for the teepees that were featured by this motel chain
Oh man.... even as I typed it, I knew it seemed wrong.... Thanks Alan

sweetgrass

I love this scene Jim! Every time I go through Holbrook I am always drawn to the Wigwam, and seeing it in IR makes me want to make the trip this summer!

beavens

Forum Helper
One of your best thus far, Jim! I really like the colors and not sure that I would convert to B&W.

Only nit would be to nix that yellow tree on the right edge.

Jeff

Top Bottom