Windblown (+edit)

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This spruce tree along the trail in Yachats always caught my eye with the little bluff below it. I must have 20-30 images of this over the year of visiting. I decided to try a B&W conversion.

B&W is not my natural element so I could use help in processing. Any comments are much appreciated.

080404_mk3_0966 b&w.jpg

Edited per Alans suggestion

080404_mk3_0966 b&w A.jpg

Last edited:

AlanLichty

Nice - the best part about B&W lies in the fact that you have a lot of room for interpretation for how the colors are expressed that differ wildly from the rigid reality of color in visible light. Colors that would look cartoonish yield nice looking contrasts in grayscale.

I would be inclined to try to tease just a little more contrast out of the vegetation along the right hand border if this were my shot.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Nice - the best part about B&W lies in the fact that you have a lot of room for interpretation for how the colors are expressed that differ wildly from the rigid reality of color in visible light. Colors that would look cartoonish yield nice looking contrasts in grayscale.

I would be inclined to try to tease just a little more contrast out of the vegetation along the right hand border if this were my shot.
Thanks Alan, great suggestion.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Lovely image, Ben. You are doing fine with B&W conversion. As Alan mentioned, there is so much room for different looks. Nik SilverFx is a great tool for trying out different looks.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks jim the foliage has a bit more light than the first. Alan said to tease and this was all I was able to get.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben,

A very nice edit. Like Alan, I can spot the subtle difference. It's great to see you working some B&W.

Top Bottom