Winged Wednesday - 02/08/2023

AlanLichty

My wings for today are from a foggy morning at the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge. Taken just over 20 years ago with a brand new (at the time) Canon D60. It was a good reminder how far camera sensors have come as this had some absolutely horrible noise levels with ISO1000. A modern camera would need to be pushed to around ISO25000 to match the noise in this original capture. Happily modern software can often recover shots like this :)

WW-RWR-FoggyWetlands.jpg

Eric Gofreed

My wings for today are from a foggy morning at the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge. Taken just over 20 years ago with a brand new (at the time) Canon D60. It was a good reminder how far camera sensors have come as this had some absolutely horrible noise levels with ISO1000. A modern camera would need to be pushed to around ISO25000 to match the noise in this original capture. Happily modern software can often recover shots like this :)

View attachment 56324

View attachment 56324
Topaz denoise will fix most of that D60 noise .

Roger Bailey

Eric had to be out of town, so you are stuck with me again. I'll try to keep up with his standards however tough that might be. No theme....just birds.

Mandarin duck.

View attachment 56316

Mallards jumping into flight.

View attachment 56317

View attachment 56318
Nice Shots Doug!
Eric had to be out of town, so you are stuck with me again. I'll try to keep up with his standards however tough that might be. No theme....just birds.

Mandarin duck.

View attachment 56316

Mallards jumping into flight.

View attachment 56317

View attachment 56318
Love the Mallards flying off and love the details on both the Green winged Teal and Mandarin.

Eric Gofreed

I love the mallards taking off as well. Great shots Douglas.
I'm submitting shots of birds eating for today's post.

Maybe Eric can help with id of these gulls. I took the picture in Vancouver. My Id was a 'Baguette Gull'.
View attachment 56319

Vancouver again. No ID on this gull either.
View attachment 56320

Swamp Sparrow from St. Johns Newfoundland
View attachment 56321

Maybe Eric can help with id of these gulls. I took the picture in Vancouver. My Id was a 'Baguette Gull'.
View attachment 56319

View attachment 56320

View attachment 56321
Bonaparte's gulls have a thin black bill and black head (breeding) or an ear-spot nonbreeding. The gull in flight has yellow feet, large white spots on the wings, I think a yellow bill, and appears to be a small gull. Might be a mew gull. The Baguette gull looks large and has a red spot on the mandible, pink legs/feet, a large white head, and pale wings. I think he's a Glaucous-winged gull

Please post to iNaturalist.org for an expert's ID

Last edited:

Trent Watts

Bonaparte's gulls have a thing black bill and black head (breeding) or an ear-spot nonbreeding. The gull in flight has yellow feet, large whit spots on the wings, I think a yellow bill, and appears to be a small gull. Might be a mew gull. The Baguette gull looks large and has a red spot on the mandible, pink legs/feet, a large white head, and pale wings. I think he's a Glaucous-winged gull

Please post to iNaturalist.org for an expert's ID
Thanks for your thoughts Eric.

View attachment 56319

View attachment 56320

View attachment 56321
Trent, really nice birds in flight.

With the gulls, the feather can change color greatly in the breeding season, it would be helpful if you can post the time of the photo.

Oliver

Trent Watts

Trent, really nice birds in flight.

With the gulls, the feather can change color greatly in the breeding season, it would be helpful if you can post the time of the photo.

Oliver
Thanks Oliver.. The gull with the bread was taken in Jun 26, 2012 and the one with the crustacean was April 21, 2005
I do find gulls particularly vexing for ID.

View attachment 56319

View attachment 56320

View attachment 56321
Trent, the gulls are very complex, the gull in the photos lean towards Glaucous Winged Gull, breeding adult.

Top Bottom