Winged Wednesday 1/13/2021

Eric Gofreed

Two osprey photos top my contributions for today's Winged Wednesday. I added another three picks for fun. I hope you would like.
Osprey n Egret-8358-Edit.jpg

This is a single photo of an osprey and a Great egret. They shared the same tree for quite awhile

Osprey-0866-Edit.jpg

Just another Osprey photo but not what you would expect from me. I photographed 4 of these at the Sedona Airport 3 days ago.
This is the Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey. The osprey was "designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft" at $78,000,000 each. A most impressive experience seeing four osprey up close. They are extremely loud and as you can see, it stirs up the earth. What you can't see are pebbles and rocks becoming dangerous projectiles.
Top speed: 351 mph
Wingspan: 46′ 0″
Range: 1,011 miles

Ring-billed gull-9220-Edit.jpg

This is a ring-billed gull that has just touching.

Junco-7951-Edit.jpg

This is a dark-eyed junco photographed in my yard.

Cedar Waxwing-7948-Edit.jpg

This is a cedar waxwing photographed a year ago in my yard.

Ken Rennie

This image is not even close to being in the same league as the terrific shots that usually grace these posts but one of my lockdown amusements is learning to photograph garden birds. I don't have the best camera or lenses for this activity but I am trying to learni how to get the best from them. My biggest problem is the light levels in the winter this far North and I can't do anything about that but this forces me to compromise on shutter speed. I have already learned that my reaction times are far too slow to try and capture tits, I think that you call them chickadees, as the flit around so I will start to zone focus on a likely area and fire off bursts on the chance that I can capture something, keep watching. I have posted these as I love the dynamism and that is enough to make me want to overcome the all too evident technical problems. As always any thoughts, hints or suggestions would be more than welcome. Ken
_DSC7502-1.jpg
_DSC7553-1 1200.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Two osprey photos top my contributions for today's Winged Wednesday. I added another three picks for fun. I hope you would like.
View attachment 35262
This is a single photo of an osprey and a Great egret. They shared the same tree for quite awhile

View attachment 35261
Just another Osprey photo but not what you would expect from me. I photographed 4 of these at the Sedona Airport 3 days ago.
This is the Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey. The osprey was "designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft" at $78,000,000 each. A most impressive experience seeing four osprey up close. They are extremely loud and as you can see, it stirs up the earth. What you can't see are pebbles and rocks becoming dangerous projectiles.
Top speed: 351 mph
Wingspan: 46′ 0″
Range: 1,011 miles

View attachment 35265
This is a ring-billed gull that has just touching.

View attachment 35263
This is a dark-eyed junco photographed in my yard.

View attachment 35264
This is a cedar waxwing photographed a year ago in my yard.
I like seeing both the natural and mechanical Ospreys! I remember when they first came out, they were quite the technical marvel.

Fantastic photos here!

Top Bottom