Winged Wednesday 3/31/2021

Eric Gofreed

I am traveling today and tomorrow so it’s Winged Wednesday on Tuesday. Some small water birds today.

Red-necked Phalarope in breeding plumage, Alaska
Red-necked Phalarope.jpg

Red Phalaropes first attempt at copulation, Alaska
Red Phalarope.jpg

Lesser Sand Plover is a is a very rare vagrant to the Lower forty-eight. It breeds primarily above the tree line of the Himalayas and occasionally on the bare coastal plains in north-eastern Siberia; rarely in Alaska. This species is strongly migratory, wintering on sandy beaches in east Africa, south Asia and Australasia. Photographed in Arizona.
LESSER SAND PLOVER.jpg

Western Sandpiper left and Dunlin in breeding plumage, California
Western Sandpiper and Dunlin.jpg

Snowy Plover, California
Snowy Plover.jpg

Piping Plover, Florida
Piping Plover.jpg

Last edited:
Great images, Eric and welcome back. This is a Northern Kestral flying over a grassland at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. These are certainly among the prettiest birds in the falcon family.

American Kestral flying.jpg

This is a rework of White-tailed Kites I shared in a "Winged Wednesday" three weeks ago that I had to process on a laptop. This turned out much better with my desktop than my laptop. The colors are much truer in this one.

Long-tailed Kites.jpg

Sandhill Crane splashing off at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, NM
Sandhill Crane taking off.jpg

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
I am traveling today and tomorrow so it’s Winged Wednesday on Tuesday. Some small water birds today.

View attachment 37959

View attachment 37962

Lesser Sand Plover is a is a very rare vagrant to the Lower forty-eight. It breeds primarily above the tree line of the Himalayas and occasionally on the bare coastal plains in north-eastern Siberia; rarely in Alaska. This species is strongly migratory, wintering on sandy beaches in east Africa, south Asia and Australasia. Photographed in Arizona.
View attachment 37961

View attachment 37958

Snowy Plover, California
View attachment 37963

Piping Plover, Florida
View attachment 37960
#4 is my favorite, I love that bit of sand being kicked up. But of course all of these are world class Eric!

Eric Gofreed

Great images, Eric and welcome back. This is a Northern Kestral flying over a grassland at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. These are certainly among the prettiest birds in the falcon family.

View attachment 37996

This is a rework of White-tailed Kites I shared in a "Winged Wednesday" three weeks ago that I had to process on a laptop. This turned out much better with my desktop than my laptop. The colors are much truer in this one.

View attachment 37997

View attachment 37998
every photo a magazine cover quality.

Debbie Stahre

View attachment 37996

View attachment 37997

View attachment 37998
Wonderful shots Doug! Love the Kestral in flight. They can be real tricky to shoot. The kites are striking and the sandhill is a nice action shot!

Debbie Stahre

View attachment 37959

View attachment 37962

View attachment 37961

View attachment 37958

Snowy Plover, California
View attachment 37963

Piping Plover, Florida
View attachment 37960
Nice set of shorebird shots Eric!

Eric Gofreed

Top Bottom