Winged Wednesday 6/22/2022

Eric Gofreed

I'm back from a 4,300-mile driving tour of 15 National Wildlife Refuges in North Dakota and Minnesota. So for today's Winged Wednesday I'll start it off with five photos from the trip.

American bittern-03771-Edit.jpg

Finding an American bittern had been a rarity until this trip. I saw 10 and heard 30 more. I spotted this one by the roadside. He was in the reeds between the road and the marsh. I was surprised he didn't flee as I approached. But do you know who did flee? A second bittern. I almost brushed against him while photographing the first. I was startled when he flew. Fortunately, he circled back and I clicked away as he flew by.

American bittern-03586-Edit.jpg

This was one of my favorite Bittern flight shots.

Black tern-04208-Edit.jpg

Black terns are small and fast

Black-bellied Plover-01469-Edit.jpg

Black-bellied plover breed near the arctic ocean so seeing one in breeding plumage in North Dakota was a pleasant surprise. Outside of North America, they're called the gray plover.

Eastern Pondhawk-.jpg

Female Eastern pondhawk dragonfly.

Last edited:

Trent Watts

I'm back from a 4,300-mile driving tour of 15 National Wildlife Refuges in North Dakota and Minnesota. So for today's Winged Wednesday I'll start it off with five photos from the trip.

View attachment 50101
Finding an American bittern had been a rarity until this trip. I saw 10 and heard 30 more. I spotted this one by the roadside. He was in the reeds between the road and the marsh. I was surprised he didn't flee as I approached. But do you know who did flee? A second bittern. I almost brushed against him while photographing the first. I was startled when he flew. Fortunately, he circled back and I clicked away as he flew by.

View attachment 50100

View attachment 50107

View attachment 50103
Black-bellied plover breed near the arctic ocean so seeing one in breeding plumage in North Dakota was a pleasant surprise. Outside of North America, they're called the gray plover.

View attachment 50104
Oh my goodness Eric, what a fantastic trip with your usual expert photographic record. Nicely presented.

JimFox

Staff member

View attachment 50101

View attachment 50100

View attachment 50107

View attachment 50103

View attachment 50104
What a fun trip Eric! I have been going to Minnesota the last couple of years for fall colors and having a blast. It's great to hear that area is also great for birding.

Eric Gofreed

My week included a trip to a farm for a wood turning event. The bush around the farm site was full of birds. I had never seen so many Brown-headed Cowbirds at one time. This shot did not include all of them I'm sure. Common Grackles were maybe even more in number.

Males hanging out in a dead tree.
View attachment 50111

Male
View attachment 50112

Female
View attachment 50113
Excellent work, Trent. I saw 400 plus cowbirds. I did take photos but I'm not sure I'll post any because they're cowbirds.

Eric Gofreed

A Butterfly from the Butterfly Pavillion in Denver a few months ago.

View attachment 50127
Superb photo, Jim. I'm thinking Doug might ID this one.
Great images so far. My contributions are a hummingbird and two butterflies.

Sparkling Violet-eared Hummingbird at Butterfly Wonderland in FL.

View attachment 50133

Piano Key Butterfly, Butterfly Wonderland, Fl

View attachment 50131

Paper Kite Butterfly, Butterfly Wonderland, FL

View attachment 50132
amazing work as expected, Doug

JimFox

Staff member
I captured this yesterday. :)

A Redwing Blackbird at a local marsh in Northern Colorado.

_D855157_dw.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom