Winged Wednesday 9/16/2020

Eric Gofreed

For today's contribution I offer some insects; evolutionary the first animals to fly.

Blue dasher female-3389-Edit.jpg

This is a female blue Dasher Dragonfly. As a generality the life cycle of a dragonfly from egg to adult is about 6 to 9 months. However there are some species where the aquatic stages live for several years before becoming an adult.

dragonfly nymph-1357-Edit.jpg

This is a dragonfly nymph. My friend found this dragonfly nymph in her dipping pool and brought it to me to photograph. Well that was a challenge I couldn't resist. I built a 4X5x1 inch aquarium from plate glass. Rinsed the insect with distilled water and put him in the aquarium. He went straight to bottom. I put a blade of grass in the water and asked him to grab hold and surprisingly he did. Using two flash with diffusers and an LED on the background I eventually homed in on the right exposure and eliminated most of the reflections in camera.

Water Boatman.jpg

This is a water Boatman. It is a true bug and a member of aquatic insect in the order Hemiptera. These bugs can fly and bite. Those hairy oar like appendages are the hind legs. I photographed this bug in a wine glass.

Blue-eyed darner--2.jpg

This Blue-eyed Darner (Aeshna multicolor) was fairly easy to photograph. He hovered 3 feet a way for 5 seconds and posed for head-on and side views. Fortunately the background is uniform making auto-focus much easier or the camera.

Ken Rennie

Still learning how to shoot small flowers and insects however a lot to learn. For me it is the failure to notice annoying things intruding into the image. It took me a while to notice them in landscapes I hope that I can be quicker with insects. This is therefore a work in progress and is not close to the quality of composition in Eric's images above. Ken
_DSC2197-1.jpg

Still learning how to shoot small flowers and insects however a lot to learn. For me it is the failure to notice annoying things intruding into the image. It took me a while to notice them in landscapes I hope that I can be quicker with insects. This is therefore a work in progress and is not close to the quality of composition in Eric's images above. Ken
View attachment 32194
This looks pretty good to me, Ken.

For today's contribution I offer some insects; evolutionary the first animals to fly.

View attachment 32187
This is a female blue Dasher Dragonfly. As a generality the life cycle of a dragonfly from egg to adult is about 6 to 9 months. However there are some species where the aquatic stages live for several years before becoming an adult.

View attachment 32189
This is a dragonfly nymph. My friend found this dragonfly nymph in her dipping pool and brought it to me to photograph. Well that was a challenge I couldn't resist. I built a 4X5x1 inch aquarium from plate glass. Rinsed the insect with distilled water and put him in the aquarium. He went straight to bottom. I put a blade of grass in the water and asked him to grab hold and surprisingly he did. Using two flash with diffusers and an LED on the background I eventually homed in on the right exposure and eliminated most of the reflections in camera.

View attachment 32191
This is a water Boatman. It is a true bug and a member of aquatic insect in the order Hemiptera. These bugs can fly and bite. Those hairy oar like appendages are the hind legs. I photographed this bug in a wine glass.

View attachment 32190
This Blue-eyed Darner (Aeshna multicolor) was fairly easy to photograph. He hovered 3 feet a way for 5 seconds and posed for head-on and side views. Fortunately the background is uniform making auto-focus much easier or the camera.
Thanks for the great images and the back stories, Eric.

JimFox

Staff member

View attachment 32187

View attachment 32189

View attachment 32191

View attachment 32190
That's amazing detail!

Eric Gofreed

View attachment 32194
You are a fast learner. Quite a beautiful photo.
I look for the same keys in Bird and butterfly photography... the light, the background and eye-level. I prefer front light or an overcast sky and I want a smooth background. For butterflies, think tallest flower, flowers on the top of the bush and unobstructed foreground. Be patient

Eric Gofreed

I wish I could have gone the insect route, but instead a herd of geese! :)

View attachment 32208
That's a superb photo, Alan. I appreciate your weekly posts and thank you for playing Winged Wednesday. I am sure you've seen geese fly in a "V" formation. One side of the "V" is longer. Any idea why? (Because there are more birds on that side.

LOL... a herd of geese. Next week I'm posting a herd of hummingbirds.

Top Bottom