A wild merge

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This image is made from two other images I took at Marlboro Point. They were not shot to be merged, for one thing the originals are 11mm. The horizon was not constant and I was not using a modal rail.

But I merged them in Photoshop using cylindrical and it merged with a lot of content aware fill and a crazy distortion. The sky was wonky so I used sky replace and the sky from one of the images.

This is truly a Frankenstein image, but I was amazed at what the new merging and sky replacements are capable of.

Merged image
201020-831-840 A pano sky.jpg

Image 1 for merge
201020-14831-5DS RA.jpg

Image 2 for merge
201020-14840-5DS R CROP A1.jpg

Last edited:

AlanLichty

If you didn't know the scene you could easily be fooled by the result. Pretty amazing how far this has gone compared to the earliest versions of fill.

Jeffrey

The final image appears very real and pleasing to the eye. Upon viewing the source images, it is quite clear how much middle ground was axed to bring the right and left bluffs closer together. I'm sure that was a result of the software trying to deal with two such extreme wide angle images to blend (where only the centerlines of an 11 mm image are undistorted). From a 'proper' stitching approach, this scene should have been shot with a 35 or 50mm lens and about 4 to 6 frames would be blended to make the more 'accurate' true to life pano. Don't matter, though, your image is still a fine one.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
If you didn't know the scene you could easily be fooled by the result. Pretty amazing how far this has gone compared to the earliest versions of fill.
I was too Alan which is why I posted it. I was not sure where to post this, certainly not in landscape, maybe in critique, but nobody goes there.

Pretty nice merge job. I am more amazed that these are stitch of two 11mm images.
Glad you noticed, 11mm is very hard to merge, even when using a nodal rail.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
The final image appears very real and pleasing to the eye. Upon viewing the source images, it is quite clear how much middle ground was axed to bring the right and left bluffs closer together. I'm sure that was a result of the software trying to deal with two such extreme wide angle images to blend (where only the centerlines of an 11 mm image are undistorted). From a 'proper' stitching approach, this scene should have been shot with a 35 or 50mm lens and about 4 to 6 frames would be blended to make the more 'accurate' true to life pano. Don't matter, though, your image is still a fine one.
Right Jeffrey, a vertical set at say 35 is what I will attempt next time out.

Top Bottom