Eric Gofreed
Well-Known Member
Alaskan coastal brown bears and grizzly bears are the same species.
The name grizzly is generally used for bears living inland, while brown bear is used for those living along the coast.
Coastal bears grow much larger because food is abundant, especially salmon. In late summer and fall, they enter hyperphagia, eating almost constantly to put on enough fat for winter.
The bears I photographed in Katmai were coastal brown bears. We watched them fish for salmon, sleep along the river, care for their cubs, and mostly ignore us.
Closing the Distance: The salmon had a head start. The bear had other plans.
I came for the view. Apparently, I am the view.
A lone wolf thought he might make friends with a brown bear. He was wrong.
The name grizzly is generally used for bears living inland, while brown bear is used for those living along the coast.
Coastal bears grow much larger because food is abundant, especially salmon. In late summer and fall, they enter hyperphagia, eating almost constantly to put on enough fat for winter.
The bears I photographed in Katmai were coastal brown bears. We watched them fish for salmon, sleep along the river, care for their cubs, and mostly ignore us.
Closing the Distance: The salmon had a head start. The bear had other plans.
I came for the view. Apparently, I am the view.
A lone wolf thought he might make friends with a brown bear. He was wrong.