Beaming

JimFox

Staff member
I hadn't planned on going to Pfeiffer Beach for the Sun Beam that only shines through a couple of weeks in January. I had thought about a few times actually throughout the year, but on this trip I had totally forgotten about it in the excitement of wanting to do some timelapse of Elephant Seals at San Simeon, and clam chowder in Pismo Beach. But fortunately it did dawn on me, and yesterday instead of stopping to photograph Elephant Seals, I kept on driving another 1.5 hours to get to Pfeiffer Beach about 45 mins before sunset.

I had to wait to get in, as there is very limited parking at the beach, and you aren't allowed to walk down there as the road is pretty narrow and long. Fortunately after getting turned away, I watched from a close corner, and when I saw 4 cars exit, I made my way back in and was able to enter and find a nice close parking spot. :)

In between a couple of timelapses I stopped and took some still images, and this is one of the ones that I liked.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D855670_d1w.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Your patience paid off - and you caught some nice wave spray with this capture.
Thank you Alan. As far as the splashes go, I had a hard time choosing which one to process as I got a lot of worthy candidates that evening. I am glad I ended up going so impromptu because I would say I got my best splashes from all of my trips there on this evening. So I have some more I can pull out and process later.

Amy Nelson

This is absolutely awesome Jim. I love the temperature of the light streaming through the rock, it definitely adds a ray of hope to the image, and the crashing waves were capture at a perfect shutter speed.....yep, love it!

dan swiger

I hadn't planned on going to Pfeiffer Beach for the Sun Beam that only shines through a couple of weeks in January. I had thought about a few times actually throughout the year, but on this trip I had totally forgotten about it in the excitement of wanting to do some timelapse of Elephant Seals at San Simeon, and clam chowder in Pismo Beach. But fortunately it did dawn on me, and yesterday instead of stopping to photograph Elephant Seals, I kept on driving another 1.5 hours to get to Pfeiffer Beach about 45 mins before sunset.

I had to wait to get in, as there is very limited parking at the beach, and you aren't allowed to walk down there as the road is pretty narrow and long. Fortunately after getting turned away, I watched from a close corner, and when I saw 4 cars exit, I made my way back in and was able to enter and find a nice close parking spot. :)

In between a couple of timelapses I stopped and took some still images, and this is one of the ones that I liked.

Jim

View attachment 35258
Superb capture Jim! Great energy & light

JimFox

Staff member
This is absolutely awesome Jim. I love the temperature of the light streaming through the rock, it definitely adds a ray of hope to the image, and the crashing waves were capture at a perfect shutter speed.....yep, love it!
Thanks so much Amy! I really appreciate your comment!

Tom Narwid

Jim

View attachment 35258
I like this one....good eye.

Alisa

Wow!! Super cool!! I like this one a lot Jim! I so would love to spend a couple months on the west coast up to Washington!!

Amy Earl

Incredible shot, Jim. All of the above comments apply :) I was at this beach once, really cool spot!

Top Bottom