DJI Avata - The New Kid on the Block

AlanLichty

I don't see it competing with the M3P at all - jpeg only still images, 12.5mm equivalent focal length, no AEB or pano modes, heavier (410gm), and 18 minutes of flight time. Seems well adapted for FPV flights mostly.

JimFox

Staff member
I don't see it competing with the M3P at all - jpeg only still images, 12.5mm equivalent focal length, no AEB or pano modes, heavier (410gm), and 18 minutes of flight time. Seems well adapted for FPV flights mostly.
Thanks Alan. I hadn't read any specs on it yet. I saw the video but it didn't really list any specs except saying it shot ultrawide video.

So.... if it was used for video and not stills, it might be capable? I do know it looked like a lot of fun.

AlanLichty

I think video is its prime target with the somewhat weak still image capabilities. I was surprised at the weight but at the same time it does have prop guards that make it safer around people. I was expecting something under 249gm with prop guards to allow for some operations over people since that is not something DJI has in their lineup at present.

They are peddling a wide range of FPV goggles and controllers so this looks like a drone mostly targeting flight videos. FPV could be fun but you will always have to have a visual observer present when you fly per FAA rules.

JimFox

Staff member
From a video standpoint, those prop guards would be awesome. It's also cool how it can flip itself back over if it crashes and gets on it's back. Some of my video's, I wish I could get closer sometimes but I don't want to bang it into something with no prop guards. I like the kind of bullet proof feel of it.

I don't know about using the goggles, that hasn't appealed to me so far.

AlanLichty

You would need to get a lot closer to something with the Avata than with other drones given the 12.5mm lens so those prop guards would be almost a necessity.

People who have trouble with motion sickness report having issues after flying with FPV goggles so likely not for everyone.

JimFox

Staff member
Motion sickness isn't an issue with me. I do think the FPV goggles could be a lot of fun to use.

AlanLichty

Tons of info out now about what the Avata is and how it works. Definitely not competiing with the Mini 3 Pro - its almost entirely geared towards FPV and cinema. Sounds like it's quite competent for the market its aimed at and will appeal a lot to first responders who have to visually examine the inside of a house. Also good for Real Estate types indoors. Very much indoor friendly with FPV and their motion controller.

I wondered where the name Cinewhoop came from and it turns out there is a very active community of folks building their own FPV drones that morphed into designs that look a lot like the Avata. More than a handful have made mounts for GoPro cameras using the builtin image stabilization in leu of a gimbal system. Few of the DIY aircraft have a battery life that can match the Avata and are often far less than 10 minutes.

A 30 minute review I watched from the Pilot Institute. They have had one for a few weeks now and gave it a workout including mounting a GoPro on top of it so they could compare the video.

JimFox

Staff member
Yeah, you are correct it looks like. It's all about FPV, racing perhaps, and video.

I found it funny in the video from DJI they were bragging about the long 18 minute battery life! And my first thought was wait... my Mini 2 was bragging about 32 minute fly time... how do you brag when you offer less. But as you say it's for a different type of drone.

Since I mainly do video, this is a drone I will keep an eye on. I am not tempted with it, but it's something I might consider in the future.

TimMc

Supporting Member
If a normal controller would work with it then maybe. No raw file is sad. But the toughness of the drone is incredible.

pepper

most of the newer drones are fairly tough. i've crashed them into bus seats (many, many times) and stairwells and usually manage to get them back up and running without having to retrieve it.

you need a vo/spotter if you're flying an fpv drone, solo flying is illegal in the us. the faa requires you to have a line of sight with the drone while flying.

if you get motion sickness, you'll probably get sick with an fpv drone. if you don't get motion sickness, you still might get sick using and fpv drone. don't use someone else's goggles, there's a good chance there's been some sick on them. the avata looks like a cinewhoop drone. not sure if it is or if it just looks like one, but they're very maneuverable drones and the chance of getting sick goes up.

i doubt it'll get much use with first responders. the enterprise drones with flir capabilities and the longer battery life are usually the top choice. you really don't want to wear goggles that cover your vision at a scene, especially if things go south and you need to quickly move your staging area or cp back. our drone response vehicle is a heavily customized hazmat truck. 3 pilots can fly simultaneously, but we usually do a maximum of 2 drones with a police chopper overhead. there's large screen tvs inside the truck and on outside panels so anyone nearby who wants to see can gather and watch. or we can stream to an on scene command post or operations center using airdata.

Top Bottom