Five small animals

gardenersassistant

The second of these was captured in our garden last august, the other four were captured in the church grounds opposite our house, the third last November and the other three last month. The last two were fairly small. The springtail at #4 was probably around 2mm head and body. I don't have a clear recollection of #5, but I do remember having to take a photo of it to work out whether it was anything worth photographing. It might not have been much larger than the springtail.

The images were captured hand-held with a Canon EF mount Laowa 100mm 2X macro lens and a pair of 2X Kenko teleconverters attached to a Sony A7sii (A7rii for #3) with a Sigma MC-11 EF to Sony E mount adapter, and a Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash. I don't recall exactly what flash diffusion setup was used for each image; I was doing a lot of experiments with different setups.

The images were captured using around f/45 with magnifications probably up to 6X or so, which would have given effective f-numbers in the region of f/100 or so. All of the images are single-capture images (i.e. not focus stacked).

The raw files were processed with PhotoLab, Lightroom and Topaz DeNoise AI. Topaz Gigapixel AI was also used for #3. I don't recall why.

There are 1300 pixel high versions on these images if you click through to Flickr.

2015 22 2022_02_17 DSC02403_PLab5 1300h DNAIcMedLo
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1988 04 2021_08_24 DSC09047_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAIc

1987 17 2021_11_20 DSC04620_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAIc LR -AIG 1300h

2014 05 2022_02_14 DSC01931_PLab5 1300h DNAIcMedLo

2015 43 2022_02_17 DSC02469_PLab5 1300h DNAIcMedLo

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Nick! We have sure been missing your photography! These are so great. I am really envious of the detail and lighting in all of these. It’s funny, it’s like there is a whole other world right below our noses that most of us never even notice.

My favorites are #1 and 5.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
The setup is pretty interesting. f/100? I don't remember every going above f/16 in anything I have ever shot.

Nice results.

gardenersassistant

Amazing view into the world of the small. Beautiful collection of macros.
Thanks Alan.

Hand held!!! Wow, these are all great, I wish I had that skill.
Thanks Ben. As to skill, please bear in mind that for me at least getting shots that work is very hit and miss. I suspect that is generally the case for people photographing small subjects hand-held, but I'm sure some people have much steadier hands and better hand/eye coordination than mine and as a result have a higher success rate than I do. Most of the typically 400 to 600 images I capture in a one to two hour session get thrown out on a first quick run through as obviously unusable. I then have to pick through the rest and work on them to see which of them seem worth keeping.

Hey Nick! We have sure been missing your photography! These are so great. I am really envious of the detail and lighting in all of these. It’s funny, it’s like there is a whole other world right below our noses that most of us never even notice.

My favorites are #1 and 5.
Thanks Jim. Yes, there is another world there. One of the great things about photographing small things is that, if you can find somewhere suitable, there can be quite a lot to find and try to photograph in rather small areas. I have only in the past year or so started getting decent results with subjects as small as that springtail. That has opened up another world for me. During the winter months there has been nothing to see by way of the sort of spiders, flies, bees, wasps, snails etc that you notice around you in the rest of the year. However, it turns out that there are smaller things around. It is a slower business because there aren't many of even the smaller subjects, and they are difficult to spot amongst the detritus of a similar size on the leaf litter. That's why, as with the snail hatchling at #5, I very often have to take a photo first to find out what it is than I'm looking at. Here is an example from a few days ago in our garden. I was photographing the first larger subjects that I've seen this year, in this case a non-biting midge. Notice the three rounded areas with darker centres, two at the bottom right and one on the right edge at the top. What are they?

2022 09 2022_02_27 DSC02906_PLab5 1300h DNAIcLoHi

I don't know, but here is what I saw when I looked closer at something similar on another of the Choisya leaves. I'm very poor at identifying things, but I think this may be a scale insect.

2022 07 2022_02_27 DSC02952_PLab5 1300h DNAIcLoHi

The setup is pretty interesting. f/100? I don't remember every going above f/16 in anything I have ever shot.

Nice results.
Thanks Jameel.

Concerning f/100, this gets a little complicated.

For over a decade I used close-up lenses. I used them on small sensor bridge cameras and on telezoom lenses on interchangeable lens cameras, such as a 55-250 on an APS-C Canon 70D and a 45-175 on various G series Panasonic micro four thirds cameras. The common theme with these was that if I used minimum aperture I got the same depth of field. For example, minimum aperture was f/8 on the bridge cameras, f/22 on micro four thirds and f/22 to f/32 depending on focal length with the APS-C 55-250. If I photographed the same scene with any of these three setups, using the respective minimum aperture, then I would get the same depth of field in all three cases. That would be the same depth of field I would have got with a full frame camera using f/45 (although I didn't have a full frame camera at that time). This f/45 full frame equivalent aperture let me produce images like these:

f/8 on a small (1/2.3") sensor bridge camera

1836 04 1376 02 1374 13 2018_09_01 P1530201_DxO RAW SP7 LR7 1400h

f/22 on micro four thirds

1834 Close-up lens example 3 08 1319 016 15 P1710921_DxO 0100RAW01cP SP7 LR6 1300h DNAI21 0

f/32 on APS-C

1834 Close-up lens example 4 7 IMG_3579_DxO SP7 LR7 1300h 2018_02_10 PP DNAI21 0

With these small apertures the images are very soft because of the large amount of diffraction, but with some careful post processing and keeping the outputs small at 1300 pixels high the image quality of images like those above was sufficient for my purposes (basically for my own enjoyment). In fact, with f/45 full frame equivalent the amount of diffraction is so large that it dominates image quality and so it didn't matter which setup I used - sensor size, lens quality, number of pixels on the sensor, none of it made any difference that I could see. So I ended up using the setup that I was most comfortable with, which was my bridge cameras.

So it was until the summer before last. There were some very small flies that I wanted to photograph on our tiny (about 5 ft x 3 ft) pond. I just couldn't get a decent image of them. I tried and tried and tried, and really concentrated on it, for days. But I simply couldn't do it. For other reasons altogether I had bought a full frame camera and in desperation, and with no real hope of success, I tried that on the tiny flies, and instead of using a close-up lens I used a powerful macro lens that I had had for years but didn't get on with. To my surprise, it worked. For the first time I got a reasonably decent image of one of the tiny flies. In fact, I got a dozen or more that I thought were acceptable, or at least promising. This is the one that convinced me that this was a path worth pursuing. (Never mind the chopped off wing - it was the image quality and not the composition that mattered to me.)

1642 Reworked 2022_03_03 DSC02305_PLab5 1300h DNAIcLoHi

It turned out that the key difference was that by using a macro lens I could use an aperture smaller than f/45, and so I could get greater depth of field. The way this works is that when you are using a macro lens, extension tubes, teleconverters and/or bellows (but not when using a close-up lens) the effective f-number increases as the magnification increases, roughly as per the following formula:

Effective f-number = Nominal f-number * ( 1 + magnification )

Where (as long as you aren't using certain Nikon setups) Nominal f-number is the f-number you set on the camera/lens and Effective f-number is the one you are actually using, and so is the one that determines how much depth of field you get. So for example if you are using f/11 at 5X magnification, the f-number you are actually using is f / ( 11 * ( 1 + 5 ) )= roughly f/64.

The calculations are are slightly different when using teleconverters, namely

Effective f-number = Nominal f-number * teleconversion factor * lens magnification

So for example, the teleconversion factor when I'm using a pair of 2X teleconverters is 4, so if I set my Laowa 2X to f/11, and set the Laowa to 1.5X magnification, then the effective f-number is f / ( 11 * 4 * ( 1 + 1.5 ) ) = around f/110.

In this case the overall magnification I'm using is 4 x 1.5X = 6X. I find it simpler to say that the f-number I'm using is f/45 (11 * 4) rather than explaining each time about the teleconversion factor.

Of course the price I pay for the extra depth of field is even more diffraction softening, which makes post processing (and keeping the outputs small) even more important to make the best I can of these extremely soft images.

Last edited:

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Thanks for the explanation Nick. Appreciated.

Have you looked into the Canon MPE 65? It goes from 1x to 5x by itself no teleconvertors needed. They key to such large magnifications is having ample amount of light which is where the macro flashes come in.

gardenersassistant

Thanks for the explanation Nick. Appreciated.

Have you looked into the Canon MPE 65? It goes from 1x to 5x by itself no teleconvertors needed. They key to such large magnifications is having ample amount of light which is where the macro flashes come in.
Yes, I have an MPE-65, but it doesn't work well for what I'm doing at the moment, for several reasons.

It is restricted to 1X to 5X. I need to use less than 1X and more than 5X, often moving in and out of the 1X to 5X range while photographing a particular subject. This lets me make a series of images of a subject going from further out "environmental" shots, through whole-body shots and on into closer-in shots of body or head etc. This sort of thing:

1415 06 2018_06_15 P1460777_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1415 23 2018_06_15 P1460817_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1415 26 2018_06_15 P1460851_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

In that case the subject stayed in the same place for a long time. However, often they are only there briefly and I have to be quick about it. I also move in and out on subjects while they move around, as was the case here.

1632 Illustration 2 - A small, scampering subject

I can't afford to stop and change the kit around as I'm zooming in and out for example by adding extension tubes or a close-up lens. My current setup gives me from infinity focus to 8X without making any changes to the kit.

Another thing about the MPE-65 is that even within its 1X to 5X range you have to turn the magnification/focus ring a lot to get a big change in magnification. To get from 1X to 5X you have to turn the ring a full 360 degrees and then another 120 degrees or so. To do this I have to turn the ring, let go of it and reposition my fingers for the next turn, turn it again, and so on. As well as taking time it is also difficult to keep a very small subject in the frame, especially if that small subject is moving around quite fast as in the above example, while doing this turning, letting go, turning again etc, as this tends to induce lateral movement, and you only need a very small amount of that to lose the subject. And once you have lost a small subject it can take ages to find it again.

This problem is made worse by the fact that the MPE-65 expands/contracts a lot as you change magnification, around 5 inches extension to get from 1X to 5X. This large extension/contraction combines with the change in working distance as magnification changes (and also any lateral movement from the turning) to make it difficult to keep the subject sufficiently in focus so that it doesn't disappear. (At higher magnifications the subject can be invisible even if you are pointing right at it if the distance to the subject is just a little bit away from what it needs to be. This is what makes it so difficult to get small subjects visible in the frame; if you can't see it you don't know if it is because you aren't pointing in the right direction or because you are at the wrong distance, or both! This is the case for finding the subject in the first place, and also for re-finding it if you lose it. This can be a problem with very small subjects even if they stay still. If they are moving, obviously it is worse.)

In contrast, with my current setup I can get from 1X to 8X with a turn of around 90 degrees, which I can do without taking my hands from the ring. And the lens doesn't extend so I only have to deal with the change in working distance. This makes it much, much easier to handle the zooming in and out that I do a lot of.

Finally, the minimum aperture of the MPE-65 is f/16. That means that the maximum effective f-number is around f/96 at 5X magnification down to only f/32 at 1X. In contrast, with my current setup I can use f/90 at all magnifications, up to f/270 at 8X magnification. So I can get a lot greater depth of field with my current setup than with the MPE-65.

The MPE-65 is a terrific lens and people produce great images with it. But what works kit-wise can in my experience be very use-case specific. That is for example also the case for me with flowers etc where, because of the capture techniques I use, my choice of kit is limited to (just a couple of) a single manufacturer's cameras. And for invertebrates the MPE-65 doesn't work well for what I want to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom