moca & rth settings

AlanLichty

The part in the ARC BVLOS recommendations that described the autonomous transport services was suggesting a new type of commercial license for PICs to work at some control center with several aircraft in flight at any point in time. It would be entirely BVLOS. The UAS would need to have ADS-B along with some (unspecified) type of Detect and Avoid on board. They want to change the language for See and Avoid to Detect and Avoid. Apparently there is a lot of money being spent to make this work.

Still sounds like an aerial train wreck waiting to happen to me :)

pepper

it sounds like a nightmare to me. i can see drones getting hung up in guy wires and all kinds of crap that you can't see if you're not on the ground. or nets being used to disable drones in the city where they don't want big brother. we've already had problems with people trying to disable drones and we're standing within line of sight.

i traded out my mavic 2e for a mavic 3t. with the rc pro i managed to get rid of 1 of my 2 ipads.

AlanLichty

There is some drone delivery testing going on down in Glendale AZ right now and the neighbors near the drone base hate them already. Not sure how that will play out yet. Also still scratching my head over deliveries in the rain for places like the Pacific NW. Even if they let them do most of the mileage in the 4-500' AGL range they still have to come down into the usual recreational 0-400'AGL level to complete the delivery. Not sure how we are supposed to know they are coming unless they have ADS-B and your sUAS can detect it. Most of the time we see an ADS-B warning we are expecting a manned flight well above us - not delivering a package to the house next door.

Brian

I suppose with remote ID coming, you'd be able to see them on one of the drone apps. I know that is a HUGE issue with remote id. Anyone with an app will be able to see where you are flying. Seems like a huge safety issue to me since drones are so contentious with the public.

AlanLichty

I am one of those who honestly doesn't care who knows I am flying so RID isn't a point of concern and is already fully active on my Mavic 3. I know the rules for where I fly and am fully prepared to prove that to law enforcement should they stop to chat. I see a lot of RID related threads on the Mavic Pilots forum where people are endlessly shrieking about anyone knowing where they are flying which always leaves me wondering what they are actually doing. RID is going to become crucial for detect and avoid scenarios when drone delivery goes mainstream. The delivery drones are going to need to be able to detect and avoid recreational flights when they are in the 0-400' AGL airspace to complete their tasks.

The current BVLOS report that is headed to the FAA in March specifies that delivery drones will need to broadcast ADS-B so we will be able to see them if your drone can detect that beacon.

pepper

remote id isn't a big deal to me. we've been tracked using airdata since we started. i do wonder what all of the heartburn over rid is about. we've had nosy drone pilots interrupt our public safety missions before.

Brian

Being an airline pilot, I always follow the regs because it could effect my job. I think a lot of the concern comes from people who just don't like drones and will be dead set on confronting people who fly them. I don't really worry living in a rural area, but if I lived in the city, I could certainly see it becoming an issue.

AlanLichty

Most of the concern I see on the Mavic Pilot's forum is from folks who don't want to be regulated and don't want anyone to see or know what they are doing. Not really a viable stance once they send an aircraft up into fully regulated airspace.

Lots of drones being sold to people without a clue that they even need to get a TRUST certificate think less of knowing anything about NAS and the rules but these aren't the ones making a fuss about RID. The noisemakers know fully well that there are rules for airspace and don't want anyone to know whether they are following them or not.

I keep coming back to drone delivery business models because they had front row seats in the ARC the FAA set up for refining BVLOS rules. If they succeed in taking over even 10% of the online deliveries that's going to be a lot of autonomous flights that will need to finish their tasks within the 0-400'AGL airspace. RID is the only clue those multi-rotor drones are going to have to avoid a recreational flight in the neighborhood.

pepper

there's a lot of disinformation and bad advice being given out to first time drone pilots. which is sad, because the last drone i purchased came with a small piece of paper telling me what to do if i was a first time pilot, such as completing the trust training and registering my drone.

we flew for a special event yesterday. had a dozen or so drones by various agencies in the air at various times. we had various tasks and some overlapping areas to cover. some agencies were flying really old drones so we just had to communicate with each other to make sure there were no incidents. it helped that we each had a designated altitude to fly and we all knew where everyone else's lz was.

pepper

to be fair, i only read it to make sure none of it pertained to me before tossing it back in the box. dji should do away with the paper and build it into the controller to make everyone sees it on the first start up. either enter your part 107 certificate number or take the trust course on the controller, plus all of the other stuff like whether you need to register that drone model with the faa before flying.

AlanLichty

Those suggestions for getting the nooby's attention have been mentioned more than a few times in drone forums but the discussion always gets tangled up the fact that they sell these things globally. The Mavic 3 they sell in the UK has identical hardware to the ones they sell in the US but features are selectively activated depending on where the drone is located on the planet when it is activated. The only difference in the packaging is the charger.

pepper

they could do it based on gps position. i'd get my country's version on the controller at start up. when i go to another country for the first time with that drone, it could give me the instructions for that country on the first start up of the controller.

we made a contact in the right of way section who is giving us a heads up on properties the state buys and are slated for demolition. we're doing indoor flight training tomorrow in a house and more buildings over the next few months. i think the next two are an auto parts store and a warehouse.

AlanLichty

I'm jealous of the indoor training - some of the places I fly to get images of waterfalls and creeks require very tight maneuvering. I practice in some local parks that have soccer fields/goals and clusters of trees when no one is around. Flying indoors sounds interesting but it would take a month to peel our cat off of the ceiling if I tried it at home. Not to mention the blowback from the domestic air traffic control 🤣

Are there scenarios where you need to fly indoors with your job?

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
I'm jealous of the indoor training - some of the places I fly to get images of waterfalls and creeks require very tight maneuvering. I practice in some local parks that have soccer fields/goals and clusters of trees when no one is around. Flying indoors sounds interesting but it would take a month to peel our cat off of the ceiling if I tried it at home. Not to mention the blowback from the domestic air traffic control 🤣

Are there scenarios where you need to fly indoors with your job?
I have seen indoor wedding videos using drones.

pepper

we've done it in the past during standoff situations when there aren't any civilians in the house. we usually use a really small, cheap drone, usually some oddball brand rather than a dji. we just need a decent enough video feed to get a visual of the situation. there's a very good chance that we'll lose the drone.

for our training we're using our older fleet of phantom 4 drones and some air 2 drones. we were going to take the inspires, but we scrounged up more phantom 4s. we'll work on techniques like verbally identifying where you are, going up and down stairs and turning corners without seeing drone or the space we're working in. the newer pilots will make a few runs through the house and identify what room they're in or identify where an object is. the more experience pilots help the newbies, but they get to go in later. we'll play hide and seek with a few of the drones in play at the same time. so not only do you have to go find something, you have to avoid other drones without knowing exactly where they are. it can get rowdy.

flying indoors in tight spaces is one thing. walls don't have those tiny little moving branches. i hate flying in the woods, that's a scary situation, esp. in the densely packed woods that we have on the east coast and what you have in the pnw. we usually fly above the treetops with thermal when we need to search the woods.

pepper

the house we trained in yesterday was super small. the phantom 4s never had a chance. nobody could make it up the stairs and turn right with the p4, if we made it up the stairs it would get sucked into the corner as we tried to make the turn. lots of crashes, ribbing and laughs. the 2 air 2's we brought didn't do bad, but the mini 2 one of the other crews brought was the clear winner of the day in terms of maneuverability. we went through so many propellers, broke all of our prop guards and one p4 was put to a very painful death.

next meet for indoor flight training we have drone flights and breaching explosives in an old auto parts store & warehouse. what could possibly go wrong?

AlanLichty

Sounds like fun when you can have burner drones to play with while you crash them and learn. So you are doing all of that FPV? I can't imagine trying that on my RC Pro console.

In the woods I only barely look at the console while I am trying to get my camera into position. My goal isn't really trying to fly up the creek - I just want to get over to the position I want to shoot from for a waterfall or whatever. Lots of places I otherwise can't shoot with my DSLR. I am staring right at the drone and the branches all the way down to my shoot spot and only then do I focus on my console view to frame my shots. When I am done shooting I carefully thread my way back out the same way I came in and do a hand catch from the trail. Entirely VLOS.

pepper

no fpv at all, and no vlos, just an ipad and your best guess. our drone policy doesn't allow us to use fpv. if we're flying at any incident then it's likely an emergency situation (crash, police activity, hazmat, natural disaster just to name a few missions from the last year). we need more situational awareness than fpv goggles allow.

we used the old phantom 4 controllers and old ipads since they're not compatible with usb-c ports on our newer ipads. we use rc pros on the mavic 3. and newer ipads for the air 2 drones and the mini 2.

when i'm shooting with my drone, i'm flying more like you. careful, right there and right back. i avoid tree branches at all costs.

AlanLichty

I could easily envision smacking into the walls more than a handful of times flying like that. While I have done a fair amount of flying via the video feed I do not have serious flying skills when it comes to tight and technical maneuvers with obstacles and BVLOS. I am mostly maneuvering my drone to the next shooting spot. It would be fun if someone was offering classes in how to do the sort of flying you are doing on the job.

If I didn't try to find holes in the branches I feel like I can fly in I would never even get my drone out in the NW forests. The idea of flying up one of our forest creeks BVLOS is a real quick recipe for losing a drone unless you know the foliage in the area.

Top Bottom