Monkey Head Nebula (NGC 2174) in Modified SHO with RGB Stars

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
So here is the first deep sky image after all the light leak nonsense was fixed. It sure was a lot nicer processing this data without a bunch of mysterious intermittent gradients all over the place.

This object was fun to process, although once again, in order to get the 'Monkey head' portion upright, this turned into a vertical image. In that orientation though, it is actually possible to see the monkey looking to the left in this version :) The little blob down in the lower left is a Sharpless object, Sh-247.

This image is made from the 3 common narrowband filters, Hα, OIII, and SII, and mixed using a modified SHO palette with SII in Red, Hα in Green, and OIII in blue. The modification is to tone down the much stronger Hα signal to not overwhelm the palette in green, to allow the other colors to show out and mix together. This was processed primarily in PixInsight with the stars removed to stretch the nebulosity independently, and then data taken separately though RGB filters used to add the stars back in at the near the end of the processing. Palette color tweaking was also done in Photoshop as was star recombination. Final black level and a few more fiddles were performed in Lightroom, where the image was also converted to the final jpg. The image presented here is the reduced size version required by FocalWorld. I will also be posting a full size rendition (the image was drizzled 2x during processing) on Astrobin soon, but decided to give 'first light' to FocalWorld this time around.

As always, comments and critiques most welcome.

ML

LRCC_FW_sRGB_NGC2174_NB_Mix1_HT_PSCC_LHE2_DHE2_WithStars_BBSR_3-2-3.jpg

Some details from Wikipedia:

NGC 2174 (also known as Monkey Head Nebula) is an H II[1] emission nebula located in the constellation Orion and is associated with the open star cluster NGC 2175.[1] It is thought to be located about 6,400 light-years away from Earth. The nebula may have formed through hierarchical collapse.

Equipment:
QHY268M Camera @ -10C and
Gain:56 Offset:25
Software Bisque MyT Mount
Stellarvue SVQ100 Astrograph Refractor, 580mm @ f/5.8
Antlia Pro Filters (3nm narrowband plus LRGB)
Askar FMA180 Guidescope/ASI290MM

Software:
Pixinsight Commercial Version 1.8
Lightroom CC
Photoshop CC
N.I.N.A. Control Software
Star XTerminator (Russell Croman)
Noise XTerminator (Russell Croman)

Light Frames:
Ha - 56 x 300 secs ( 4 hrs 40 mins)
OIII - 61 x 300 secs (5 hrs 05 mins)
SII - 60 x 300 secs (5 hrs)
Red: 30 x 15 secs (7 mins 30 secs)
Green: 30 x 15 secs (7 mins 30 secs)
Blue: 308 x 15 secs (7 mins 30 secs)

15 hrs 07 mins 30 secs total

Dark Frames:
10 x 15 secs (2.5 mins)
10 x 300 secs (50 mins)

Flat Frames:
10, each filter

Bias Frames:

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Mike,

This looks really sweet! I bet it was a lot easier and less stressful now that you don't have the light leak!

I love the inclusion of SH2-247. I saw that in my capture, but wasn't sure what it was. The SHO palette sure is really nice. I was starting to think the other day actually about where is the Monkeyhead? I coudn't tell for sure, but I thought it was like you stated here.

I was combining my stars back in Photoshop until I saw this tutorial from Lukomatico that really simplifies it, and I think it's even more natural looking. Check out the link, maybe it's something you can use too. ReScreen in a FLASH! StarXterminator for PixInsight - FREE Tools! - YouTube

JimFox

Staff member
Oh, and don't forget that if you upload it to the Gallery here first, you can upload it probably at full resolution. Then click on the camera icon when you are creating a thread to add it into your post.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Oh, and don't forget that if you upload it to the Gallery here first, you can upload it probably at full resolution. Then click on the camera icon when you are creating a thread to add it into your post.

Really? I literally post every single thing via the gallery that way. I did not realize that allowed you to override the size constraints. I'll keep that in mind!

ML

JimFox

Staff member
Really? I literally post every single thing via the gallery that way. I did not realize that allowed you to override the size constraints. I'll keep that in mind!

ML
Yep, we set it up that way, because in the forums, we have no control over the limit. But in the Gallery I have the ability to allow larger resolutions, it is 3000 pix wide in the Gallery. Linking it in here, will display it at 1200 pix wide, but clicking on it then opens it up to the full resolution of whatever you loaded it in at the Gallery at.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Yep, we set it up that way, because in the forums, we have no control over the limit. But in the Gallery I have the ability to allow larger resolutions, it is 3000 pix wide in the Gallery. Linking it in here, will display it at 1200 pix wide, but clicking on it then opens it up to the full resolution of whatever you loaded it in at the Gallery at.
Oh OK, I also post everything in the gallery at 3000 pix on the long edge, so I guess I am already taking advantage of that. Of course, in this case, the actual long edge dimension is over 12,000 pixels (again, due to the 2x drizzle), which ends up looking good and makes this able to be printed at very large size should I ever desire to do so. Good to know I already am taking advantage of that. For those wanting to see this at full resolution, clicking through on the Astrobin post will do the trick...

https://www.astrobin.com/a4af1l/

ML

Top Bottom