Yesterday I had gotten a Reservation to go into RMNP and had an epic day. After 6 miles of trail running, I headed over towards Trail Ridge Road to shoot what looked like it might be a good sunset before shooting the Milky Way with snow field remnants later in the night. Part way up Trail Ridge Road there is a couple of larger waterfalls that flow down, as I pull up to it I am short on time to reach the top of Trail Ridge in time for the sunset, but I spot (along with about a 1/2 dozen other people a really cool Elk with a great rack of antlers feeding around the waterfalls.
I quickly make the decision that shooting that Elk is more important even if I miss the sunset. So I stop in the pullout grab one of the cameras and run back down towards the waterfalls and where the Elk is. I ended up shooting it for about 10 minutes, the color in the clouds above the ridge behind the Elk is turning colors, I shoot off about 4 or 5 wider frames to include the colors and then run back to my Jeep to get up to the top of Trail Ridge to catch the colors up there. I did lose out on the beginning of the sunset up there, which was now a nuclear sunset, the sky literally looked like it was on fire. I caught it while it was still peaking and then it quickly faded, so I lost out on perhaps a better composition for the sunset, but still I am happy with my photos I got during that 2 to 25 min period.
All comments are welcome,
Jim
I quickly make the decision that shooting that Elk is more important even if I miss the sunset. So I stop in the pullout grab one of the cameras and run back down towards the waterfalls and where the Elk is. I ended up shooting it for about 10 minutes, the color in the clouds above the ridge behind the Elk is turning colors, I shoot off about 4 or 5 wider frames to include the colors and then run back to my Jeep to get up to the top of Trail Ridge to catch the colors up there. I did lose out on the beginning of the sunset up there, which was now a nuclear sunset, the sky literally looked like it was on fire. I caught it while it was still peaking and then it quickly faded, so I lost out on perhaps a better composition for the sunset, but still I am happy with my photos I got during that 2 to 25 min period.
All comments are welcome,
Jim