Waterfall Wednesday 11/22/2023

AlanLichty

Moderator
@JimFox was querying about the waterfalls when I posted the panorama yesterday showing the fall colors in the Gorge and this is what Multnomah Falls looked like about a half hour after I shot the panorama. This is 7 shots in burst mode shot with a 70mm lens from out over the Columbia River since most anything closer would violate the USFS no fly zone. Happily I didn't make any plans to visit these falls on foot as it turned out the parking lots were full and were closed off at the freeway exits. Interesting to note all of the fall color near ground level in the areas that were burned in the Eagle Creek fire back in 2017. The flames made it down almost to the back door of the lodge (hidden behind the trees).

DJI_M3P_70_CRG-MultnomahFalls111023.jpg
 

ProCaliberTraveler

Well-Known Member
@JimFox was querying about the waterfalls when I posted the panorama yesterday showing the fall colors in the Gorge and this is what Multnomah Falls looked like about a half hour after I shot the panorama. This is 7 shots in burst mode shot with a 70mm lens from out over the Columbia River since most anything closer would violate the USFS no fly zone. Happily I didn't make any plans to visit these falls on foot as it turned out the parking lots were full and were closed off at the freeway exits. Interesting to note all of the fall color near ground level in the areas that were burned in the Eagle Creek fire back in 2017. The flames made it down almost to the back door of the lodge (hidden behind the trees).

View attachment 67070
If you unfocus your eyes, Alan, it looks like there's another wildfire around Multnomah.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
@JimFox was querying about the waterfalls when I posted the panorama yesterday showing the fall colors in the Gorge and this is what Multnomah Falls looked like about a half hour after I shot the panorama. This is 7 shots in burst mode shot with a 70mm lens from out over the Columbia River since most anything closer would violate the USFS no fly zone. Happily I didn't make any plans to visit these falls on foot as it turned out the parking lots were full and were closed off at the freeway exits. Interesting to note all of the fall color near ground level in the areas that were burned in the Eagle Creek fire back in 2017. The flames made it down almost to the back door of the lodge (hidden behind the trees).

View attachment 67070
Thanks for posting this Alan, it's nice to see the fall colors along the bottom.

I hate permit systems, but maybe something like that is needed to control the crowds there?
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Thanks for posting this Alan, it's nice to see the fall colors along the bottom.

I hate permit systems, but maybe something like that is needed to control the crowds there?
Thanks Jim - there is a permit system in place during the summer months but that system expires in mid September. They do have a message board over the eastbound freeway about a mile before you get to the Multnomah Falls exit and then a series of status lights that get activated when the lot is full and two drop down barriers to block the freeway entrance. The barriers can be seen in this 24mm shot that includes more context:

DJI_M3P_24_CRG-MultnomahFalls111023.jpg


I frequently use the Multnomah Falls parking lot as a place to turn around to go home after shooting from the Benson Recreation area since it has no westbound park exit to the freeway. On this occasion I had to drive several miles up I-84 to get to a turn around point since the lot was closed. Curiously there is no barrier for westbound freeway traffic coming into this lot and you can see a queue of cars waiting for someone to leave in the upper left of the lot.
 
Top Bottom