Waterfall Wednesday 4/24/2024

AlanLichty

Moderator
This is a really tall panorama of Dalton Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. This is one of the few intermittent sets of falls in the Gorge with a name. The span of this scene is roughly 500' vertical feet covered in this case by a 3 panel stitch job using a 166mm lens on my drone which was hovering at 390' above the ground.

DJI_M3P_166VP_DaltonFalls020124.jpg
 

Michael13

Moderator
I haven't heard of this falls, but definitely challenging to photograph! Alan, does your drone stay at your chosen altitude and the lens pivot to make panos? Or do you change altitude to keep the same straight ahead POV? Just curious questions from a non-droner.
 

Michael13

Moderator
This is Wahclella Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. A short hike brings you to the bridge in front of the falls where you are likely to be covered in spray. The photo was made from near the top of a scree slope just a bit to the west.

2856-2860H.jpg


C&C welcomed.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
I haven't heard of this falls, but definitely challenging to photograph! Alan, does your drone stay at your chosen altitude and the lens pivot to make panos? Or do you change altitude to keep the same straight ahead POV? Just curious questions from a non-droner.
There are 2 ephemeral falls just to the west of Wahkeena Falls - Mist falls and then Dalton Falls. Mist and Dalton Falls drain into Hartman Pond which is part of the Benson Recreation Area just before you get to the I-80 parking area for Multnomah Falls. As far as shooting a pano I get the drone to a desired viewing point and then use gimbal motion for up and down panning. If I am doing a horizontal panorama sequence I turn the drone itself side to side while hovering in place. Pretty much the same thing you would do with a ground based tripod.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
This is Wahclella Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. A short hike brings you to the bridge in front of the falls where you are likely to be covered in spray. The photo was made from near the top of a scree slope just a bit to the west.
C&C welcomed.
A very nice viewing angle for Wahclella falls - one of the better I have seen. My first thought when I saw your shot was that you had acquired a drone.

This is prior to the Eagle Creek fire I presume? I know the trail going back into these falls took a horrid beating in the fire and USFS had to completely rebuild the trail. I have not been back up in there since they opened a new trail and had assumed that the fire took out all of these trees.
 
Top Bottom