Eric Gofreed
Well-Known Member
For the tenth “Winged Wednesday,” I have selected some wild Macaws in flight from Costa Rica. The gist of this week’s theme is panning birds in flight or “sometimes blur is your friend.” As a bird flies by, you want to match your panning to the speed of the bird while keeping your shutter speed slow enough to blur the background.
While panning I use a slower shutter speed of 1/500th sec or less... trying to get a linear blurred background. Sometimes the bird is severely blurred and that can be quite beautiful. Usually with flight shots I want 1/2,500th second or faster.
The first panned bird is a Scarlet Macaw and the second panned bird is Scarlet/Great Green Macaw hybrid. The panning photo settings were 1/500th sec, ISO 1600, f/5.6
And for a comparison, the third photo is a Great Green Macaw; photographed at: 1/5,000th sec, ISO 1600, f/5.6
Scarlet Macaw
Scarlet/Great Green Macaw hybrid
Great Green Macaw
While panning I use a slower shutter speed of 1/500th sec or less... trying to get a linear blurred background. Sometimes the bird is severely blurred and that can be quite beautiful. Usually with flight shots I want 1/2,500th second or faster.
The first panned bird is a Scarlet Macaw and the second panned bird is Scarlet/Great Green Macaw hybrid. The panning photo settings were 1/500th sec, ISO 1600, f/5.6
And for a comparison, the third photo is a Great Green Macaw; photographed at: 1/5,000th sec, ISO 1600, f/5.6
Scarlet Macaw
Scarlet/Great Green Macaw hybrid
Great Green Macaw
Last edited: