98% Moon

JimFox

Staff member
Well, it was almost full! This was from 2 nights ago, the moon was still low in the sky, I liked the way it looked, so I just grabbed the Tamron 150-600mm put on the 1.4tc turned on DX mode on my Nikon D850 and turned on the VR, and hand held about 40 photos. 🥳 I took 11 of them at the end of my shooting and stacked them in Photoshop, used a Median Blend as a Smart Object and away I went. :)

Nikon D850 DX mode
Tamron 150-600mm with 1.4tc
Handheld
11 images Stacked
ISO 800
1/1000th sec
f9

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D858613to23_d1w.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Very nice result - looks like that 1.4x is working quite well on the Tammy. You have some very good detail for having the moon low ion the horizon!

ML

JimFox

Staff member
Very nice result - looks like that 1.4x is working quite well on the Tammy. You have some very good detail for having the moon low ion the horizon!

ML
Ha ha, better yet on this one is I saw as I was getting back home from an errand, tossed the 150-600mm and the extender on the D850 stepped just out the front door, leaned back up against the wall to steady myself and I could get the moon just as it was clearing a neighbors roof. 😍

JimFox

Staff member
I gotta try this sometime - I certainly like the result.
You should try it. If you have noticed I have been shooting the moon a lot over the last 4 or 5 months. I think it's really fun. The grandkids are loving these, and since they are doing online schooling right now he is going to take and share this image of the moon with his class today. So that's fun too.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Ultra detail. I took some moon shots at 560mm the other night, have not processed them yet.. I used to do them with my 500f4 and 1.4 x, but with a lot fewer pixels. I no longer have the 500f4.

JimFox

Staff member
I would like to better understand this technique. What does it do?
Stacking multiple photos in Photoshop and then using a Median Blend ends up cutting out the noise in the photo and also helps add more detail to all of the contrast edges like the craters. So of the guys who really get into photographing the moon will often stack 500 photos or more so they can get better detail.

AndyB

Is stacking similar in concept to HDR?

It would be interesting if you could post just one image so we could compare stacked versus a single image.

JimFox

Staff member
600m + 1.4x handheld?? How is that possible...🤔

Wonderfully sharp result!
Awe thanks! :)

As to the handholding, being in the Army and being trained to shoot rifles and guns in general teaches techniques that is very helpful in applying to holding a camera still too.

JimFox

Staff member
Hand held? Not bad. New moon here in a couple of days and clean air after storms. Time for some star shots.
Thanks Jim!

I should already by out shooting Deep Space Astro, but I took in the Engagement Session and I want to get those photos finished and off to the clients before I head out. So I will probably go to Death Valley in a couple of days and then head over towards Utah to meet up with everyone.

Jim Dockery

Great results hand held! As you know I've been using that stacking/blending technique on my drone shots (always set to shoot bursts of 5) to lower noise.

JimFox

Staff member
Great results hand held! As you know I've been using that stacking/blending technique on my drone shots (always set to shoot bursts of 5) to lower noise.
Yeah, it's really helpful. I have been doing it for years too. It makes sense to do it with the drone images as you already are working with a smaller sensor with less IQ. The end result is sure working on your images.

I just hadn't realized that stacking would bring out more detail in the moon itself. I find that very cool as noise wasn't an issue here, it's simply to bring out more detail.

Top Bottom