Applecross Peninsula, North West Scotland

Ken Rennie

From Oct 2020. A small peninsula on the mainland approx 16 mile by 12 mile with Skye to the West. I hadn't been here for close to 50 years and only had 1 day to rediscover it (another area to go back to, perhaps in the Autumn after the midges depart). Weather here is a real lottery and the roads are narrow and twisting.
Looking South across Loch Carron to Plockton with Skye on the right and the wilds of Knoydart in layers.
_DSC4364-1 fb.jpg

Looking across to Southern Skye which is has none of the dramatic mountains of the North but is still a beautiful place.
_DSC4513-1.jpg

2 monochromes also in the B and w section both looking towards Skye
_DSC4549-3 mono.jpg

_DSC4564-1 mono2.jpg

View from the top of the Bealach na Ba (pass of the cattle) with Skye in the background
_DSC4392-1.jpg

Looking North to the Open sea with the far North of Skye on the left and the mainland on the right.
_DSC4566-1 fb.jpg

Lastly one of the wider and straighter roads in the area looking into the interior. In recent years the number of campervans has exploded often driven by people not used to drving them and definitely not used to single track roads.
_DSC4577.jpg

AlanLichty

Neat looking sea that puts your B&W posting in context. I love the view in #5 overlooking the Bealach na Ba.

Sadly there are no special licensing requirements for drivers of the various flavors of camper vans (we call them Recreational Vehicles or RVs) up to and including some of the big 40+ footers we so often see on our side of the pond. I am quite used to how to handle my 25 foot RV after 7 years of ownership but would be hard pressed to make that claim during the first year I had it.

JimFox

Staff member
What an interesting place Ken. It sounds like a place you lasted visited then as a child? Did you still have childhood memories of it?

I really like #2, that's a really cool pano. Very long, but I like how the layers stretch out.

I go back and forth on #3 and 4. There is enough difference between them in how the scene is rendered between wide and tight that I think they both can stand equally strong.

I like the views in the rest. And with that last one, having driving some of your roads in a regular sized car, I can't imagine there are many places an RV would fit comfortably.

Ken Rennie

What an interesting place Ken. It sounds like a place you lasted visited then as a child? Did you still have childhood memories of it?

I really like #2, that's a really cool pano. Very long, but I like how the layers stretch out.

I go back and forth on #3 and 4. There is enough difference between them in how the scene is rendered between wide and tight that I think they both can stand equally strong.

I like the views in the rest. And with that last one, having driving some of your roads in a regular sized car, I can't imagine there are many places an RV would fit comfortably.
No, not a child, I think that I was an electronic engineer working for IBM at the time. Not 50 years ago, probably 47. Ken

Top Bottom