Backlit Deer

Brian

Well-Known Member
Last night I was looking south off the patio and thought I saw a deer on the horizon. Well I broke out the 150-600mm and set it up. Turns out there was a herd on the horizon about 800 yards away. At one point I saw a doe running on a mission. Having seen this behavior before, I figured she was chasing a coyote off. Sure enough, I saw the silhouette of a coyote moving away from the herd. Anyways, I just thought these were kind of neat.









 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Very cool Brian! It's a bit slow in the forum today so it's awesome to see these from you. :)

I like #1 as my favorite. What I like about #1 more is that the legs are seen on the deer. My next favorite is #3 as the herd is cool to see. And I do like that last one with the coyote in the scene, that's a nice touch to the series.

With both #1 and 2, I wonder if a small crop off the left side to move the deer off from dead center would improve those at all? I am not sure, but if they were mine I would do that crop just to see what I thought.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
PS, my #1 is actually #2. I wasn't counting your shot of your camera in my head as #1 as I was writing. Though that is a cool shot too. :)
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Fun sight and nice you shot the sequence. Like Jim I like that second shot with the full profile of the buck looking back so we can see the symmetry of his antlers.
 

Brian

Well-Known Member
Very cool Brian! It's a bit slow in the forum today so it's awesome to see these from you. :)

I like #1 as my favorite. What I like about #1 more is that the legs are seen on the deer. My next favorite is #3 as the herd is cool to see. And I do like that last one with the coyote in the scene, that's a nice touch to the series.

With both #1 and 2, I wonder if a small crop off the left side to move the deer off from dead center would improve those at all? I am not sure, but if they were mine I would do that crop just to see what I thought.

Thanks Jim. I'll give that a shot. I struggle with that kind of thing. I seem to have no idea how to compose a photograph. It's quite frustrating actually.:mad:
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Great focus. I know how hard it can be to nail focus with a long lens at such distance. You seem to have good atmosphere for this. The images are cool too
 

Eric Gofreed

Well-Known Member
Last night I was looking south off the patio and thought I saw a deer on the horizon. Well I broke out the 150-600mm and set it up. Turns out there was a herd on the horizon about 800 yards away. At one point I saw a doe running on a mission. Having seen this behavior before, I figured she was chasing a coyote off. Sure enough, I saw the silhouette of a coyote moving away from the herd. Anyways, I just thought these were kind of neat.









Silhouettes on the horizon... outstanding
 
Top Bottom