Bison

ckcarr

Founding Member
These are Henry Mountain bison, not Yellowstone, although their ancestors were transplanted back in the 1940's from Yellowstone. They are free roaming, genetically pure genuine wild bison. Hard to find, like hunting because there aren't that many there. I'll go look for them once or twice a year, but the odds are about 15% that I'll see any so it's just an adventure.

_DSC3810_004997-X2.jpg


_DSC3745_004932-X2.jpg


_DSC3725_004912-X2.jpg


There's always one watching out for the herd.
_DSC3714_004901-X2.jpg


_DSC7491-X2.jpg


_DSC7513-X2.jpg
 
Last edited:

AlanLichty

Moderator
Nice shots Craig - especially #3. These look a bit leaner than the Yellowstone specimens probably due to the more sparse environment. Neat you do get to see them once in a while.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Super cool Craig! Great job finding them, I can just imagine how hard that is.

my favorites are #3, 4 and 5.
 

Terry Farrow

Well-Known Member
These are Henry Mountain bison, not Yellowstone, although their ancestors were transplanted back in the 1940's from Yellowstone. They are free roaming, genetically pure genuine wild bison. Hard to find, like hunting because there aren't that many there. I'll go look for them once or twice a year, but the odds are about 15% that I'll see any so it's just an adventure.

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

View attachment 25062

There's always one watching out for the herd.
View attachment 25063

View attachment 25065

View attachment 25064
Great set of images Craig.
 

ckcarr

Founding Member
I guess I should confess that these are not all from the same day, or even the same year. On a good day, I might luck out and get a handful of shots, and then they run away! It would hardly be worth going over to try and find some except I just like roaming around over there. I always feel like I'm on safari and the last person on earth.
 
Top Bottom