Cassidy Arch Canyoneering

Jim Dockery

Many of you have probably hiked up to Cassidy Arch in Capital Reef - very nice easy route, with a touch of slick rock scrambling near the end. If you were lucky you might have seen people taking off on the 8 rappel canyoneering route that starts behind the arch with a spectacular full rope length free hanging rap.

I know I'm exceeding the suggested photo limit, but this was a real life highlight, esp. for my wife, so I want to share the excitement I feel looking back at these.

Casidy-Arch-063.jpg

Cassidy Arch in top center, the route starts behind the arch then follows the steep drainage down to the left, exiting near the road at the bottom left.

Casidy-Arch-091.jpg

Rick (our lead guide) starts the first rappel with his wife Evelyn belaying.

Casidy-Arch-100.jpg

It was great being able to move around and shoot each person from different angles to take in the spectacular rock architecture we were moving through.

Casidy-Arch-138.jpg

My favorite shot of the day of my wife Debbie just past the overhang and starting the long free hanging part of the first rap.

Casidy-Arch-170.jpg

Different angle on Andy in the same spot.

Casidy-Arch-182.jpg

Looking down on Andy,

Casidy-Arch-204.jpg

My other favorite looking back up at Evelyn bringing up the rear.

I did the route with my friends Rick & Evelyn (who were long time Teton climbing guides) 3 years ago but lost all the pictures when I left my Sony RX100 on a picnic table at the Hickman House where we celebrated with pie and ice cream afterwards (called an hour later when I realized it was gone, but no one turned it in). My wife wasn't along that day so we went back to do it again last month along with our friends Andy & Drew (father/son team). It is so nice being with a couple of pros so I'm not the one responsible for safety and can put more energy into photography. I brought my iPhone 13 pro with a little cord passed through one of the openings in the case so that I could clip it into a shoulder sling in case of a finger fumble. I also slid it into a neoprene case on the shoulder strap of my pack for protection when I was rappelling.

Casidy-Arch-218.jpg

Rick strung a safety line on this slab that hangs over a big drop - easy climbing, but big consequences of failure so better safe than sorry.

Casidy-Arch-231.jpg

Rick leads us deeper into the labyrinth.

Casidy-Arch-257.jpg

Debbie drops down while Rick sorts the ropes for the next rap.

Casidy-Arch-267.jpg

Looking up at Andy in the same spot (wide angle view).

Casidy-Arch-311.jpg

This is a very short rap that Evelyn just down climbed as she brought up the rear.

Casidy-Arch-319.jpg

Awe inspiring views make waiting for our partners to rap a joy.

Casidy-Arch-372.jpg

Another awkward moment getting past the lip of an overhang. Andy wasn't a climber, but he aced these raps.

Casidy-Arch-406.jpg

The last short rap.

Casidy-Arch-470.jpg

After dinner at the picnic table we piled into our truck camper for desert. Not a great picture technically, but it brings a smile every time I look at it, remembering a great day with my best friends.

JimFox

Staff member
Wow! What a fun series. I am glad you posted all of these photos as it was nice to view and read through it all at one time.

What a fun experience, and a great way to experience it. And so different then 99% of everyone else. Great photos to, not only to document it, but to come away with some print worthy photos also. The rappelling adds a neat dimension to many of the views.

AlanLichty

Cool sequence. Not a part of Capital Reef I have ventured into at all so nice to see some images of this place.

Jim Dockery

Thanks for the feature Jim! We're all lucky to still be able to do this stuff in our late 60s, although my wife bruised a rib on one of the raps, she couldn't sleep on that side for a couple weeks, but is fine now.

BTW, this is a pretty easy route by technical canyoneering standards. It has some awkward roofs to pass on rappel, but no pools to swim, and the approach is easy with the exit right on the road not far from where you park.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Congrats on featured post, and what a fine set of images. I am impressed that you can still do this in your late 60's.

MonikaC

Looks like you all had a good time. Fond memories of BITD?
Nice series to take us there vicariously.

JimFox

Staff member
Thanks for the feature Jim! We're all lucky to still be able to do this stuff in our late 60s, although my wife bruised a rib on one of the raps, she couldn't sleep on that side for a couple weeks, but is fine now.

BTW, this is a pretty easy route by technical canyoneering standards. It has some awkward roofs to pass on rappel, but no pools to swim, and the approach is easy with the exit right on the road not far from where you park.
Yep, it's great when we stay active as we get old. Most people can't believe the running and high altitude backpacking I still do. I think for us it's just normal for some reason, but the majority of the people who hear about this can't believe it.

Something like this would make for an awesome GoPro video. It's too bad a drone couldn't be used to video the descent!

Thanks for the excellent vicarious experience, Jim. It is great to see that you can still do these kinds of things. That eighth image would be a great stand alone of the arch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom