Douglas & Alan's turn (and others)

MonikaC

Well-Known Member
For the geology fans here...... (as opposed to alluvial?). This is beyond the Mars Desert Research Station in the San Rafael Swell, UT. Similar to the Painted Hills, but no walkways, parking areas or other visitor amenities.

MARS-sharpNikspots.jpg
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
These are amazing features, Bentonite Hills. I am always amazed when I see a giant boulder perched atop one of these hills. I always think of Sisyphus. Great image.
 

MonikaC

Well-Known Member
These are amazing features, Bentonite Hills. I am always amazed when I see a giant boulder perched atop one of these hills. I always think of Sisyphus. Great image.
Thanks, Ben. They're all over the Colorado Plateau & they always take my breath away.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Neat looking scene in one of my favorite places in Utah. I like the isolation of the rocks in this composition.

Similar in color distributions through the exposed strata to the formations of Central Oregon but at the same time entirely different origins for the deposits. Central Oregon is almost entirely volcanic in origin vs. the sandstones of the Swell area.
 

MonikaC

Well-Known Member
Neat looking scene in one of my favorite places in Utah. I like the isolation of the rocks in this composition.

Similar in color distributions through the exposed strata to the formations of Central Oregon but at the same time entirely different origins for the deposits. Central Oregon is almost entirely volcanic in origin vs. the sandstones of the Swell area.
It was fascinating to drive through Capital Reef just down the road from there and see the sandstone with volcanic plugs and boulders interspersed.
UpperLowerCathedralValleystif.jpg
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
It was fascinating to drive through Capital Reef just down the road from there and see the sandstone with volcanic plugs and boulders interspersed.
Is that the view looking up towards Thousand Lake Mountain? I like the snow cover and clouds.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
This is really cool Monika! Ben and I drove down there the last trip and I had a blast stopping and shooting various hills along the way. Did you drive out to the Fossil Research area further down along that road? That was really interesting and I had a fun time talking with one of the researchers there.
 
Thanks for thinking of us, Monika. Those beds are something else. I have been there many times but I still don't have the image I would like.

I love the geology in that second image. Did you get out to the valley of the Sun and the Moon? It looks you are close where this image was taken.

It looks like you are having fun. Still waiting for the wildflowers here.
 

MonikaC

Well-Known Member
This is really cool Monika! Ben and I drove down there the last trip and I had a blast stopping and shooting various hills along the way. Did you drive out to the Fossil Research area further down along that road? That was really interesting and I had a fun time talking with one of the researchers there.
No, I didn't get out to the fossil beds. I don't have the eye/education to spot them. Even when I've been places with signs, I look at them & think," Really? That's a fossil?". Which probably means I should spend more time at those places.
 

Jeffrey

Well-Known Member
Nice imaging Monika. I discovered Cow Dung Road last year. Now one of my favorites. I did post a few aerial images of that area here last year. Truly wild stuff!
 

Dean

Well-Known Member
Monika,
These are very interesting and both places I have not been.. great to see.
 
Top Bottom