Looking Into Nevada

JimFox

Staff member
This is really sweet! Love the layering and I bet you did feel recharged after.

Travis Rhoads

I am really drawn to the layering in this like others have said. Curious what it might look like to crop the bottom off, to my eye those foreground trees are trying to steal the show.

Jeffrey

I am really drawn to the layering in this like others have said. Curious what it might look like to crop the bottom off, to my eye those foreground trees are trying to steal the show.
You're right, Travis. My first version had only a bit of the tree tops included, as that one was all about the receding ridge lines. But I was trying to make more of a landscape version here. I can't say which is better, but this one does have the impact you mention:

whites-hills1-2.jpg

EDIT: OK, I do like this one better. It has the purity of fewer elements, something I seek in my image-making.

Travis Rhoads

For me, I like the revision...I always hesitate to make suggestions like that...because in the end both are right if your eye prefers one or the other...but with that being said... I do like the new version a lot more!

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Areal perspective is a term I learned in a photo class. It means when the atmospher provides a sense of depth by making distant less clear and further away.

Did not mean taken from your drone.

Levy Davish

You're right, Travis. My first version had only a bit of the tree tops included, as that one was all about the receding ridge lines. But I was trying to make more of a landscape version here. I can't say which is better, but this one does have the impact you mention:

View attachment 20512

EDIT: OK, I do like this one better. It has the purity of fewer elements, something I seek in my image-making.
Unfortunately I have to disagree here. The trees as an anchor gives the viewer a point to start the journey all the way up (as needed in layers) instead of tracing from left to right in this version.

MonikaC

I also prefer the edit. I think the original had an uncomfortable amount of trees. They have enough vertical mass to compete with the layering in the mountains & sky (which, to me, is the main element), but not enough interest. A vertical pano that had all of the tree height might also work well.

Top Bottom