Lost my actions

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Everytime Photoshop updates, it looses my actions. I have looked in every folder I can find and they seem to be gone. My thoughts are before I rebuild my actions, I migrate to a different program, any thoughts?

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Best course of action is once you build your actions, save them in a known location. You can load them back from the saved location.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Best course of action is once you build your actions, save them in a known location. You can load them back from the saved location.
Yes, I did that and when I found them, they were old actions. I am in the process of doing this over.

Hey Ben, you might try searching for .atn files and then doing a "Load Action" on them.
Yes, I did a search for ATN and only found old ones. There are so many places a photoshop file could be, but I made a special folder just for actions and the ones in that folder are old. Maybe when I save actions they go to a Photoshop preferred folder. If so I can't find it, I looked in several previous photoshop folders.

Dale Berlin

Hope Im not sending you on a wild goose chase. I am assuming all actions are stored in .atn files, but I am not an 100% sure.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
When I do an atn search md select explorer it sends me to Photoshop and if I try there, you need to specify a folder. I don't think I am doing a proper hard drive search. I will google ir and find out. I almost have my most important actions rebuilt and saved in an actions folder.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Amy, yes I found that same page and tried that location to no avail, But I have most of my critical actions finished except one, content aware fill which I have forgotten how to do. That's a problem with actions, you learn a technique and make an action then after several years you forget how to do it when the action is lost. But I am sure I will be able to remedy this. Most of my actions were save actions with various sizes and destination folders. These are now about done. Then some that labeled Topaz steps.

The upgrade also lost my dual monitor arrangement and I have since rebuilt that.

Ok, I have content aware fill fixed. No critical actions left to fix.

Last edited:

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Now back up these as .atn files in a known location outside of where they are. That way it is easy to rebuild anytime. I can keep this within my Onedrive folder so I can get to it from anywhere.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I have been saving it regularly. I learned something, when I thought I was saving the entire action set, I was only saving individual sets.

Top Bottom