Mineral Monday - 05/09/2922

This week we will take a look at some important industrial minerals.

Fluorite is an important source of fluorine and is used in the metallurgical industry to remove impurities from iron and steel, pure forms are used in the optical industry, and finally it is used in the chemical industry to make hydrofluoric acid and other chemicals.

This specimen is from Cave-in-Rock, IL. It consists of large cubic crystals of fluorite covered with drusy quartz, marcasite (a mineral similar to pyrite), and a large calcite crystal.

fluorite with calcite.jpg

Copper Ore with Azurite (blue) and Malachite (green) from the largest copper mine in Arizona.

Azurite, Malachite, and Limonite.jpg

Vanadinite is an important ore of vanadium. Vanadium is an important alloying element, mainly used in the steel industry. About 85% of metal vanadium is added in the form of iron vanadium and vanadium-nitrogen alloys in steel production to improve the strength, toughness, ductility, and heat resistance of steel.

Vanadinite.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
Wow Doug! Those are some cool specimens! That’s interesting how a “rock” like the Vanandite can be used in making steel as there is no feel or look of rocks when one sees steel.

AlanLichty

Beautiful specimens - I have never seen one like the fluorite with the calcite crystal before. The azurite would have been worth a small fortune as a source of blue pigment in preindustrial times and was highly prized dating back to the Early Dynastic period in ancient Egypt.

MonikaC

Great, as usual, Douglas. Forgive the irreverent (fermented grape-induced, no doubt) comments: the cubic crystals of fluorite look like they need some serious noise reduction ;) (is that the marcasite?) and the vanadinite looks like pomegranate seeds....... But, seriously, they're beautiful specimens, beautifully shot & I always appreciate the education.

Great, as usual, Douglas. Forgive the irreverent (fermented grape-induced, no doubt) comments: the cubic crystals of fluorite look like they need some serious noise reduction ;) (is that the marcasite?) and the vanadinite looks like pomegranate seeds....... But, seriously, they're beautiful specimens, beautifully shot & I always appreciate the education.
That out-of-focus look is the drusy quartz, and the marcasite is the goldish looking flecks. The vanadinite does have the color of pomegranate seeds but the crystals are rectangular in shape.

Beautiful specimens - I have never seen one like the fluorite with the calcite crystal before. The azurite would have been worth a small fortune as a source of blue pigment in preindustrial times and was highly prized dating back to the Early Dynastic period in ancient Egypt.
Thanks for the neat history lesson, Alan.

Top Bottom