More from Recent Capitol Reef Trip

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Maybe not good waiting to post one's favorite until folks are likely sick of seeing this location :) But anyway, here is another set from our recent camping trip to the park.

Driving down Scenic Drive heading to the end of the paved portion of the road there were lots of chances to get out and shoot. I chanced a look back and saw this view, and instantly knew it was going to be a favorite shot if I could do it justice. It really captures the amazing diversity of the rock layering in the Waterpocket Fold I think. Also continue to be impressed at the wonderful ability to handhold the R5 with stabilized RF glass and get excellent detail and sharpness.

LRCC_sRGB_FW_VC4_WaterpocketVista_TAP_7642-7644_DxO_DeepPRIME_Balancer.jpg



Looking upslope to the cliffs was looking interesting too - I liked the contrast of the trees against the cliffs, especially with all the juniper adorned with berries.

LRCC_sRGB_FW_JuniperOnTheRocks_TAP_7645-7647_DxO_DeepPRIME_Balancer.jpg



Here is a rock detail abstract taken at the end of the pavement on Scenic Drive. The light was really hitting this wall and making it glow. I liked the abstract nature of this, and all the intricate detail the camera/lens combo pulled out.

LRCC_sRGB_FW_AbstractInOrange_TAP_7627.jpg



These type of 'structures' are all throughout the park, so not sure now if this was shot on Scenic Drive or perhaps along the Highway 24 going through the park. To me it has the look of an Egyptian Temple Ruin to it :)

LRCC_sRGB_FW_FakeTempleRuins_sRGB_TAP_7630_1_2_Optimizer2.jpg



Probably only one more post in a little while from this productive trip as I have another 'which version do you like best' question to ask about a particular scene...


As always thanks for the critiques and comments!

ML
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I like all of these as I also like Cap Reef scenic drive. The first one is iconic. the third one really captures the color of those cliffs. The last one is a great composition and I think I have one myself.
 

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
I am definitely not “sick of seeing this location” as a Tennessee resident I appreciate images from our scenic western states—we hope to travel west again this fall. Your last photo was my favorite.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Very nice set with good colors and details in all of them Mike. #3 does a really good job with the colors of the cliffs as does the last one with the overcast light.

I took one with the scene in last image with my RV in the frame for a photo contest by the RV manufacturer and have seen it in online ads for Leisure Travel Vans. For the record the image didn't win that a year but any shots submitted for the contest can be used for ads.
 

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Very nice set with good colors and details in all of them Mike. #3 does a really good job with the colors of the cliffs as does the last one with the overcast light.

I took one with the scene in last image with my RV in the frame for a photo contest by the RV manufacturer and have seen it in online ads for Leisure Travel Vans. For the record the image didn't win that a year but any shots submitted for the contest can be used for ads.

Alan,

What a fun story! I think that would be neat to see an image used that way. Thanks as always for the excellent feedback as well.

ML
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Alan,

What a fun story! I think that would be neat to see an image used that way. Thanks as always for the excellent feedback as well.

ML
I didn't get any notice that they were going to use the image (they get hundreds of submissions each year) so it was a surprise to see my RV at CRNP in their advertising.
 
Top Bottom