Rock 'Study'

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
While out watching friends take their turns flying drones I decided to try some pseudo 'macro work on the huge outcrop we were flying around. Inspired by Alan's great posts on closeups, I got something I liked, shooting handheld propped on a rock. Continue to be amazed how sharp this RF 100-500 is, even shot wide open like this:

Rock Study, Rural Wyoming, 500mm, 1/125th, f/7.1, ISO 400:

LRCC_sRGB_FW_RockStudy_TAP_4422.jpg



ML
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Very nice details - I can see why you like this lens. You have discovered my favorite way to take closeups - from far away :)
 

Jameel Hyder

Moderator
Staff member
Nice colors and textures Mike. I only heard good things about that lens. I have mulled selling the 100-400 and getting that 100-500. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is that I still have the 5DsR and this lens can be used on both. And the difference in cost too.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
I like what you found here Mike. It's fun picking out patterns in the rocks like this.

This looks just a tad soft.

Does the 100-500mm have a stabilizer?
 

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
I like what you found here Mike. It's fun picking out patterns in the rocks like this.

This looks just a tad soft.

Does the 100-500mm have a stabilizer?
Jim,

Yes it does, and it pairs up with the in camera IBIS of the R5 very nicely.

ML
 

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Nice colors and textures Mike. I only heard good things about that lens. I have mulled selling the 100-400 and getting that 100-500. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is that I still have the 5DsR and this lens can be used on both. And the difference in cost too.

Jameel,

As good as the 100-500 is, from what I have seen and heard the 100-400 is equal, at least in IQ - maybe an edge to the 100-500 on an R body for stabilization and possibly AF speed. And being able to use that wonderful lens on both your R camera(s) and the 5DsR is a big deal too.

ML
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I have the 100-400 and it works great on the R5 even with a 1.4x. So I will pass on the 100-500 and instead got an RF800 f11. So far I just have the moon image with it (just arrived) but I will go to a bird sanctuary Thursday and try it out.
 

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
I have the 100-400 and it works great on the R5 even with a 1.4x. So I will pass on the 100-500 and instead got an RF800 f11. So far I just have the moon image with it (just arrived) but I will go to a bird sanctuary Thursday and try it out.

Interested to see how you get on with it Ben. My trade is to get the RF 1.4x extender to bring my lens to 700mm f/10 or to get that 800 f/11.

ML
 
Top Bottom