Skiing Ruby Mt.

Jim Dockery

Ruby Mountain is just off Hwy 20 in WA with commanding views of the North Cascades. In the winter it is a 5500 ft. climb to the summit, with lots of steep trees to navigate before you get to the fun upper open slopes. My friend Jerry and I hadn't done it yet so headed up yesterday hoping for ok conditions but didn't find them. The climb was time consuming, had to take skis off a number of times to boot up icy steep slopes in the trees. When we finally got up into the alpine the snow was a bit better, but still funky with a thin breakable crust over a few inches of cold sugar snow that tended to freeze into lumps on the bottom of our climbing skins which made the final climb even more strenuous. I was so tired I only took my camera out a handful of times but I was happy I did to get this shot of Jerry with Ross Lake below. Type 2 fun day.

Climbing up
Ruby-Mt.-009.jpg

Skiing Down
Ruby-Mt.-029.jpg

Ruby-Mt.-091.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Wow a 5500 foot climb in snow, you must be in top shape. That first image looks more like an ice field than snow. Love that second image.

AlanLichty

Jaw dropping view from up there. Too bad the conditions weren't ideal but the view for us is fantastic. Thanks for sharing these.

Jim Dockery

Ben, I'm not in that good of shape, which is why I was too tired to fully document the day. Yes, I'm still able to get out and up to a place like this, but it aint easy. That is why we didn't make the summit - too slow, and needed to save energy to safely ski down in those difficult conditions.

Funny thing about this web site is that most of the forums get very little traffic. I've tried to get this one going, but there doesn't seem to be much interest and the others who post here are into motorsports with no interest in mountain sports (I must admit to the reverse and my lack of viewing of many of the other forums). I appreciate how you two, along with Jameel, work so hard to make nice comments about every picture posted on this site. With so few views and little feedback I'm questioning my efforts here.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Jim, we are a small forum, I have the same problem with some of mine, but I really appreciate your contribution. Don't give up we need you and even if it's a small forum, it's a friendly one.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
That's great to hear. I check all new posts so no matter what forum it's in, I can see it. Occasionally I don't comment if I really can't think of something to say. But I always look.

AlanLichty

I "see" most posts via the New Posts button and often never even check to see the forum in which it was posted. I will always click on yours since there will often be views I will never be able to see firsthand. Especially when they include scenery like the backdrop in these images.

JimFox

Staff member
Great shots Jim, with my favorite being that first one. But I do like #2 also with the lake far below for persective.

Like Ben I totally get the feeling of not enough responses sometimes. We have the same issue with the Video section. But keep it up as long as you can. We are continuing to grow slowly, hopefully one day we will have more people posting in the Sports section, and that’s where your photos here help to lay an appetizing foundation to draw in new people.

Just know that even if the amount of responses isn’t great here, your dedication to posting here is really appreciated.

Hey Jim,

I haven't been on this forum for a long time and decided to take a look. I have always loved your images but didn't know you posted images here. I will start watching this now that I know you are here. Nice images, Jim.

Top Bottom