Sticking my Toe in

JimFox

Staff member
Well… after thinking about it for a long time, I did it…. I was at Costco and it was on sale at $40 off so I took the plunge. Not sure where I will try to use it first, I will go to a local park later in the week and practice with it first. But I have some ideas on what I want to use it for, like the Bentonite hills out in Blue Valley in Utah, farm fields in Minnesota, being able to capture old barns and farm house that are behind fences, etc..

There is rumors of a Mini 2s or a Mini 3 coming out, but the rumors have been out for a while, so I don’t know how true they will be with DJI having just released the Mini SE.

2CB43311-AC25-4875-ADF1-A85B1FB7F3DB.jpeg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Great Jim now you will be covering all bases;) my hand eye coordination is so bad that I never considered one. But the benonite hills is a sure bet on where I would use one

JimFox

Staff member
Great Jim now you will be covering all bases;) my hand eye coordination is so bad that I never considered one. But the benonite hills is a sure bet on where I would use one
Fortunately the Mini 2 has a built in Gimbal. It will be fun to see how it turns out.

We need another trip out to Skyline and have @Jeffrey also meet us, so we can have a couple of drones in the sky. And plus I could pick his brain.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Fortunately the Mini 2 has a built in Gimbal. It will be fun to see how it turns out.

We need another trip out to Skyline and have @Jeffrey also meet us, so we can have a couple of drones in the sky. And plus I could pick his brain.
I agree, why don't you set one up. I am done setting up meets. I could maybe get out there in November, or March.

JimFox

Staff member
I agree, why don't you set one up. I am done setting up meets. I could maybe get out there in November, or March.
I have too much going on now with my Moms dementia and my daughters horrible divorce, so most days I have a hard time thinking past tomorrow. Even if you had set up a meet up, I couldn’t commit to it. But, hopefully when things settle down we can arrange a meet up next spring.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Hey Jim, being a primary care giver has restrictions. I don’t like to leave my wife alone for more than an overnight trip. For longer trips I try to get my daughter to come down from Idaho to stay with her. So I have a limited number of week long trips available each year and 2022 is already booked.

But I can do Skyline as. Two night trip and have more flexibility. Just as long as they are not on my already booked dates

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Jim, being a primary care giver has restrictions. I don’t like to leave my wife alone for more than an overnight trip. For longer trips I try to get my daughter to come down from Idaho to stay with her. So I have a limited number of week long trips available each year and 2022 is already booked.

But I can do Skyline as. Two night trip and have more flexibility. Just as long as they are not on my already booked dates
Yeah, we can look in the spring once we get closer, I am sure it would be something we can move around based on your availability.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Right. The initiator of a meet up has a commitment. I need to have the freedom to join when I can sort of likebyou

Jeffrey

Good for you Jim. Advice: Learn to fly first and then learn to photograph from the drone. I'd avoid parks if lots people are there, but some are big and have areas that fewer people go. Learn to fly in open fields or school fields after school is closed or on weekends. Early in the day at the beach. I know you live in a populated community like me so It's not always easy finding places tp practice.

JimFox

Staff member
Good for you Jim. Advice: Learn to fly first and then learn to photograph from the drone. I'd avoid parks if lots people are there, but some are big and have areas that fewer people go. Learn to fly in open fields or school fields after school is closed or on weekends. Early in the day at the beach. I know you live in a populated community like me so It's not always easy finding places tp practice.
Great advice Jeffrey. Tons of no fly zones, overlapping no fly zones in Anaheim where I am. But I found most of Huntington Beach was fine to fly, so I went this afternoon to one of the bigger parks there that has some open space, but still trees and a couple of lakes. And of course a bit of people. Not too many by SoCal standards, but still some.

I practiced taking off and landing, flying around, etc.. I did end up filling up the 32gb memory card that came with it. Maybe something is useful from it, but mainly it was some test shots and videos that I can look over later so I can see first hand the quality of photos and videos.

It definitely requires a steady had, and the Mini2 doesn’t have avoidance sensors, so I was extra careful.

I did have a blast and I used up 3 batteries I testing it.

Thanks for the advice!

JimFox

Staff member
Have fun with it
Thanks Raymond! I think it will be lots of fun. I know my grandson already has ideas on how we can use it to enhance the playground videos and Timelapses that we already do with my GoPro Hero 9.

Top Bottom