The Upcoming Spring Wildflower Season.

The rainfall this last fall and winter was consistent and plentiful which bodes well for a great bloom this year providing there are no freezes to kill off plants. I have assembled some past superbloom images of places that become wildflower meccas along with the typical blooming season so you can see what is possible.

Lost Dutchman State Park, AZ. (Late February to Mid-March)

Lost Dutchman Poppies.jpg

Lost Dutchman I.jpg

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument (Mid-February to Early March.)

Organ Pipe Cactus and Lupines II.jpg

Brittle Bush, Organ Pipe Cactus Nationaol Monument.jpg

Anza Borrego Desert State Park, CA

primrose horizontal.jpg

Anza Borrego Desert State Park.jpg

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve, CA (Mid - March to mid- April.)

Owl Clover, Goldfields, Poppies, Filaree, and Pygmy Lupnes, Antelope Valley, CA.jpg

Poppies and Baby Bllue-eyes, Antelope Valley, CA Landscape.jpg

Carrizo Plain National Monument, CA (Mid-March to Mid- April)

Temblor Range flowers.jpg

Carrizo Plain National Monument,CA.jpg

Last edited:

AlanLichty

There could be some absolutely amazing color shows this year. You already have a rather impressive collection of these already from what you have shown above.

wow, never would have guessed there'd be so many flowers. beautiful photos.
The deserts are incredible after a wet winter and spring, Beth. I have loved shooting wildflowers all of my life. When I moved to the southwest, I couldn't believe the displays of wildflowers during good years. You get spoiled when you see this for the first time, so it is a real bummer when you don't see this for years at a time. The estimate is that this only happens on average once every ten years or so.

I took those first two images in 1998 but it hasn't been that good since that year at Lost Dutchman. Here's hoping.

sweetgrass

Wow Doug, you just got me motivated for this years spring blooms in the desert! Wonderful collection.

Eric Gofreed

The rainfall this last fall and winter was consistent and plentiful which bodes well for a great bloom this year providing there are no freezes to kill off plants. I have assembled some past superbloom images of places that become wildflower meccas along with the typical blooming season so you can see what is possible.

Lost Dutchman State Park, AZ. (Late February to Mid-March)

View attachment 56300

View attachment 56303

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument (Mid-February to Early March.)

View attachment 56311

View attachment 56302

Anza Borrego Desert State Park, CA

View attachment 56304

View attachment 56305

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve, CA (Mid - March to mid- April.)

View attachment 56306

View attachment 56307

Carrizo Plain National Monument, CA (Mid-March to Mid- April)

View attachment 56308

View attachment 56310
OMG!!!! I so envy your artistry, Doug

Top Bottom